Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Failure

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:15 PM

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my question!

I'm running a Windows Vista Home Premium OS with AVG Free, Comodo BOClean, and the Comodo Firewall. I just came home from a trip and attempted to update my computer. I had several updates and all of them succeeded except for one of them.
I've tried the suggested actions in the help file (OSE was originally set to manual anyways, but I changed it to Automatic Delayed Start like the help file suggested, but to no avail), but the update still fails:

Failed: 1 Update

Error(s) found:
Code 80070643

The update is: KB942763

Thanks for the help! :huh:
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

Did you try everything suggested in this KB article?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903772

This one seems similar in its suggestions, but it includes links to other sites (which I didn't follow up on):
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/08/26/w...d-update-error/

Hope this is of some help. Good luck!

#3 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:21 PM

What's really weird is that the problem seems to be for Office 03 and not for Office 07 which is what I have... at any rate, I'm probably going to reinstall it anyways because I've been having other problems with it.

Thanks for the help and I'll update you on the problem in the near future! :huh:
Stanford '14

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:35 PM

I hope the reinstall solves your problem. Do post how it turns out. :huh:

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:09 PM

If you are concerned about not updating, you can always google the update number (or go to microsoft.com and search by number) and download and install it yourself.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

This is a Daylight Savings Update.

As far as reinstalling Office, I believe that Office 2003 and 2007 both allow repair installs without needing to reinsert the disc. A nice feature because most people put those away and forget where they put them. I had Office 2003 tell ME that the install needed to be repaired.

Good luck.

DR

#6 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

Well I reinstalled Office 07 and there's still no luck... the update won't install.

Additionally, I'm unable to install the update from Microsoft's Website because the ActiveX is not running and Windows Genuine Validation Tool Gives me Error 0x80072f19 and says the code is not available... any ideas?
Stanford '14

#7 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

Are you getting prompted to install the ActiveX component when you go to the Microsoft Validation page? If so, allow it to install them.

And these updates that will not install. From what you are saying it appears they are for Office. Is that correct?

What about OS updates? Are they still able to install?

DR

#8 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:10 PM

First of all, thanks for your help!

I am not getting any prompting to install any ActiveX controls.
I believe the update is for Office 07, but the exact update is KB942763.
All my other updates seem to have been able to install because the only update on my list is KB942763.

Once again, thank you for your help!
Stanford '14

#9 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

That is a Daylight Savings Update. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have really sensitive data in an office environment. You can Manually adjust for Daylight Savings. Since they changed it a little this year it has required these silly updates.

I'm not sure where it would be in Vista (just got it myself) but in XP there is a small program that allows you to select exactly when the update occurs. It is called tzedit.exe and is available from Microsoft that will allow you to set when the change should take place. I'm not sure whether it is Vista-compatibile though.

DR

#10 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:14 PM

A Daylight Savings Time update....

These could fail because the way the update works is that it often "undoes" what a previous update did. If that previous update became corrupted in some way or it's uninstaller was removed, then the new update would fail.

I had a very similar problem in the past. I updated by XP box as usual and one of them was a Daylight Savings update. It installed no problem. Later, I ran a program called CCleaner and I accidentally erased all my hotfix folders (I didn't actually remove the updates themselves, just the uninstall folders). With the hotfix folders permanantly erased, there is no way I can remove the updates themselves (which I wouldn't plan to anyways).

However, one of those hotfixes was the Daylight Savings one. Later, another DST update came up on Windows update. When I tried to install, it failed. The installer uses the previous update's uninstaller to remove the previous and put in the current.

Just thought I'd share that....maybe that might explain your problem?

Toodaloo... :huh:

#11 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

Thank you for your time and help!

I don't know if I've ever deleted my hotfix files with CCleaner on this machine. I'm curious though, why Microsoft would label the DTS Update as important. At any rate, Windows Updater just told me today that I know have two uninstallable updates:

KB942763 and KB943411... this computer is starting be more of a problem then a blessing :huh: :huh:
Stanford '14

#12 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:02 PM

Hi Elendil,

This last one is a Windows Sidebar Protection update: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...ory/943411.mspx

On this page, you can do a manual download and install of the update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943411

If you want to ignore the Daylight Savings update, you can right click on the listing and choose to hide it. Personally, I'm not sure you should ignore the DST update, though, since apparently there are a lot of things on the system that depend on having the correct time. Since I wasn't certain my computer would change correctly because of the delay in moving to standard time, I stayed up late physically watched my computer to make sure it was OK, which it was. When you left-click on the time in your system tray and select to change date and time settings, you'll see an option to be notified a week before the next time change occurs.

I do agree that getting used to Vista is a HUGE pain.

Edited by Dialer, 10 January 2008 - 06:08 PM.

#13 Elendil

Elendil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:05 PM

Hi Elendil,

This last one is a Windows Sidebar Protection update: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...ory/943411.mspx

On this page, you can do a manual download and install of the update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943411

If you want to ignore the Daylight Savings update, you can right click on the listing and choose to hide it. Personally, I'm not sure you should ignore the DST update, though, since apparently there are a lot of things on the system that depend on having the correct time. Since I wasn't certain my computer would change correctly because of the delay in moving to standard time, I stayed up late physically watched my computer to make sure it was OK, which it was. When you left-click on the time in your system tray and select to change date and time settings, you'll see an option to be notified a week before the next time change occurs.

I do agree that getting used to Vista is a HUGE pain.

The download and installation failed :huh:

Also, I noticed that I'm unable to highlight/select text in Internet Explorer :huh:
Stanford '14

#14 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hmmmm. I'm at a loss at this point. Lemme go see if I can find one of the big guns to help you.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

I'm just guessing here, but this has helped others in the past:

Try the fixes in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
Method 10 is what drew me to the article - and Method 11 is a repair install of Windows. Let's hope that it doesn't go that far. But try all the fixes to see if they help.

Try these steps to see if it's something in IE7 that's causing the problem: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...8d8af71033.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users