Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Feezing At Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LimeDisease1

LimeDisease1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:21 PM

everytime I try to shut down my computer, it feezes when it says something like 'computer is now shutting down...'. after this happens, I have a hard time getting windows to restart. I have to try turning my computer on and off multiple times before anything actually happens. does anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

First thing I would do...take a look in Event Viewer and see what errors are reflected there that might be pertinent.

You say the computer "freezes"....I think some would say "hangs", just want to be sure I am understanding what happens.

My guess is that the reason you have a hard time restarting Windows...is the fact that a hard shutdown probably corrupts a number of system files, crippling the system just a bit.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm Skip down to Shutdown Does Not Complete...

Louis

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:35 AM

Another thing to try is downloading and installing the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service which helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending.

Also see:
Windows stops responding during Windows XP shut down
Troubleshoot shutdown problems in Windows XP
Troubleshooting Windows Shutdown Problems
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 farad1

farad1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:21 PM

this could also be that you have too many softwares on your computer which is slowing it down try deleting some if this doesn't work check event viewer as another member said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users