Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chapin33

chapin33

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:25 PM

All,

I had the dreaded "blue screen" last week while surfing web. I am not certain but think I had email (Outlook Express) open when this occurred. This was the first time this happened so I rebooted into safe mode, ran virus (AVG) and spyware programs and they fortunately did not find a problem. So I thought the issue was moot but I then found I can not use Outlook Express anymore.

I have two identities, which I can open and access but I can not open any email in each of the identity. In addition, I have no "contacts" anymore and can not accesss my Address book. I receive an error message that tells me that I need to reinstall Outlook Express.

I went to Control Panel/Add/Delete/Windows components, and I unchecked Outlook Express. I then rebooted PC, and then did the same thing but checked Outlook Express and then rebooted the PC. After all of these steps, I am still at the same place I was before I began: I have no contacts, and can not open any email. I would normally, abandon this email client and use another of the free clients, but there are some important email that have Xmas receipts which I may really need so I need to reinstall and hopefully retain this important email. I searched these forumns and found some things but some have said that a problem may exist if there are too many contacts. This is NOT my problem as I only have 15 on one identity and 7 on the second ID so that is not the problem.

I have XP Pro, am current on all Microsoft updates.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 14 December 2007 - 12:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:00 PM

First off, have you tried a system restore point? If you can get back to when OE worked, I would immediately make copies of all those important emails. Save them in the email format AND in text for backup. And backup the address book too.

I'm at a loss about what the real problem may be. I hope others can help. But do try a system Restore Point.

If the restore doesn't fix OE, maybe you can still get to the emails to save them.

Look for your identities. You may have to unhide hidden folders and files in the tools-folder options first. The path to them will be something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{1EF28306-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-B1C6C66E6AB2}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

If they're still there, you'll see the Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx etc and any specially named folders you may have created in your OE. After you get OE fixed, you can try importing them back in.

#3 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:49 PM

Thanks mama...

I forgot to note that I did a system restore for days prior to the problem occurring. The system did restore to the earlier day but the problem still remained.

I'll try the other suggestion later as I am in office now but problem lies with home PC. Any other suggestions for any and all takers?

#4 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:10 PM

I went looking for the files using the path provided above but the path was slightly different. There was no:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{1EF28306-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-B1C6C66E6AB2}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

the path was C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Application Data. Note: there was no local settings and there were no identities found. I did find the address book but when I tried to open it, it would not open. Does this mean I am unable to get this information back?

Is it hopeless? Please advise because I just can not understand why I can not reinstall Outlook Express.

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

Local Settings is a separate folder from Application Data, both of which are usually hidden. Inside Local Settings is another folder named Application Data...and inside it is Identities, etc.

Maybe you missed seeing the Local Settings folder and just looked inside the Application Data folder for your Identities?

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data === Not this folder

C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Local Settings\Application Data === Look in this Folder for Identities.

There can be a lot of other files in that folder, depending on programs you've installed, etc. If it was actually gone, I think you'd surely be having more problems than just with OE.

This is the path to my Address Book:
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express
wab is the address book

Is that the one you tried? I don't know if it's gone forever, but save a copy someplace (in My Documents?). Once OE is repaired or reinstalled, maybe you can still get to it later.

Edited by mommabear, 14 December 2007 - 08:28 PM.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:13 PM

Sounds like the DBX files may have become corrupted. OE is notorious for that.
Is this OE 6 or 7?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 12:49 AM

This article When Outlook Express Crashes or Won't Start, should be helpful.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:32 PM

Sounds like the DBX files may have become corrupted. OE is notorious for that.
Is this OE 6 or 7?

I am using IE 7.

#9 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

and I am using OE 6.

#10 chapin33

chapin33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

All,

It seems that the problem that caused the initial "blue screen" was a problem with the BIOS/the ram was corrupted. Dell sent me replacement RAM, which I installed so I can at least run the PC but I still have no luck with OE 6. I am able to open OE 6 but can not access any of my email and the address book is gone.

I have searched in vain for the suggestions that mamabear listed above but I simply do not have a local settings section within the application. I have tried to uninstall OE6 via add/delete windows components but it does nothing more than delete the icon and then when I reboot, I then add this windows component in but the problem is still there.

I then reinstalled IE 7 as the information listed above suggested this option. I noted that the reinstall sometimes fixes OE 6 but in my case that did not happen. I am really unsure of the whole registry thing as I do not to screw up the PC.

I did a couple of system restores to dates prior to when the problem first occurred, December 7, but interestingly enough the problem is not fixed. Because there is nothing in the local settings, and the problem still occurs it leads me to believe that perhaps I am missing files? I am not sure; just grasping at straws.

Do I need to reinstall Windows XP? If so, I have never done this so I will need step by step instructions.

Also, if I need to reinstall Windows XP, am I right that I will lose all programs that I have added (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, iTunes, etc.)?

I have all my bookmarks, music, photos, and files backed up so at least I am ok with that but would like some assistance with the questions posed in this thread. Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users