Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Having Several Issues While Updating A Pc's Hardware!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:37 PM

Hello! Well this is kind of messy. I'm adding new hardware to an older computer. I'm having trouble getting everything to work right. I need some help/suggestions about the following trouble.

1) I've got Win2000 Pro running on a small/old HD (8gig). I'm using it as the brain (Master). I've added my newer 250G HD as Slave. It has 150 Gig of files on it. (Both HD's are on the same ribbon cable) When I boot up it detects the Master & Slave correctly. When I go to System/Hardware/Device manager it sees both HD's.
-But when I go to My Computer the 250 G HD doesn't appear (It has no letter connected to it like C: or D:) Why?
-My brother said I should refresh my "Bios", How, I don't know what that means?

2) When I connected an External HD thru USB it doesn't show up either. I did get a window to "Install new found hardware". I assume its referring to the Ext. HD & needs a driver or something.
-What do I need to get in order to have my PC find & recognize the Ext. HD?

3) I noticed when I reboot with just the Master HD installed (8 gig w/OS) the system boots up pretty fast (2-4 mins). But when I install the 250 Gig HD it takes (I'm not kidding) 30mins or more to boot up. It gets to the screen with windows 2000 Pro & the progress bar half completed, but it takes 30min to finish the process bar.
-Why does it take so long with the larger HD installed? Anyway to fix it?

4) I have 512 Ram now. I found an additional bit of RAM to add to the last RAM slot. I added it & during the memory test I can see the RAM has increased. But the rest of the Boot process seems to freeze up. (I've never let it sit for more than 5-7 mins, so if its having the same lag as when the 250 HD seems to cause, I can not be for sure.)
-Why does the freeze up happen & how can I fix it?

5) I can not find an AUDIO Plug on this System.
-What type of Hardware do I need to get AUDIO/Sound to work?

6) I have Pent. III- 866Mhz -512 RAM- Nvidia GF 4 Vid card- ASUS MOBO. My Lil' Bro said I should use Win2000 bc it would work better than XP home or Pro with the system I have.
-Is that true? Why? I'd prefer to use XP do you think thats a good/bad Idea?

I know this is a lot of questions. I hope I can get some help with them. I realize I need a newer PC, but this one was free & its an upgrade over my other PC. Please disregard the Signature Info you see below about my Laptop Specs. These question don't pertain to that system.
Thanks for the help!!!
==============
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:24 PM

:thumbsup: The make and model of the computer or the motherboard would help.
Is any drive besides the original, formatted?
Are you sure you bought the correct memory? There is a difference
You, possibly, might have to update the BIOS for XP
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:08 AM

Do you have the jumpers on the drives set as master and slave?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:33 PM

Earlier BIOS was not able to detect hard drives that are really large. A BIOS update could possibly resolve that. There are other third-party solutions as well. If you use Maxtor drives, MaxBlast3 will manage your drives.

I would recommend updating your BIOS. Go to the ASUS support page and search for your motherboard model. ASUS usually prints them in white letters on their motherboards.

There is a possibility that you memory may not match well. That can cause stalling. Mixing non-ECC and ECC will not work; that is a common mistake.

Also, if you right click my Computer and left click Manage. Look under disk management and see if the new drive is listed there.

Hope this helps.

DR

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

To possibly answer question #2. The external HDD is most likely USB 2.0 and that computer probably doesn't have it, that will cause a problem with windows not recognizing it correctly. #3 When the 250 gig was originally configured was it Fat32 or NTFS? If you installed windows 2000 using the NTFS file system it may have a problem reading the old FAT 32 file system. Also Where did this drive come from was it from this system? Your bios on this motherboard may not have support for that large of a HDD as previously posted to since its a PIII which was released in 99. I am not sure of the exact date the 250 gig technology came to market but it was Much later then that. When you say it detects both drives correctly. Does it show the proper size of the 250 gig?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users