Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:37 PM
Hello! Well this is kind of messy. I'm adding new hardware to an older computer. I'm having trouble getting everything to work right. I need some help/suggestions about the following trouble.
1) I've got Win2000 Pro running on a small/old HD (8gig). I'm using it as the brain (Master). I've added my newer 250G HD as Slave. It has 150 Gig of files on it. (Both HD's are on the same ribbon cable) When I boot up it detects the Master & Slave correctly. When I go to System/Hardware/Device manager it sees both HD's.
-But when I go to My Computer the 250 G HD doesn't appear (It has no letter connected to it like C: or D:) Why?
-My brother said I should refresh my "Bios", How, I don't know what that means?
2) When I connected an External HD thru USB it doesn't show up either. I did get a window to "Install new found hardware". I assume its referring to the Ext. HD & needs a driver or something.
-What do I need to get in order to have my PC find & recognize the Ext. HD?
3) I noticed when I reboot with just the Master HD installed (8 gig w/OS) the system boots up pretty fast (2-4 mins). But when I install the 250 Gig HD it takes (I'm not kidding) 30mins or more to boot up. It gets to the screen with windows 2000 Pro & the progress bar half completed, but it takes 30min to finish the process bar.
-Why does it take so long with the larger HD installed? Anyway to fix it?
4) I have 512 Ram now. I found an additional bit of RAM to add to the last RAM slot. I added it & during the memory test I can see the RAM has increased. But the rest of the Boot process seems to freeze up. (I've never let it sit for more than 5-7 mins, so if its having the same lag as when the 250 HD seems to cause, I can not be for sure.)
-Why does the freeze up happen & how can I fix it?
5) I can not find an AUDIO Plug on this System.
-What type of Hardware do I need to get AUDIO/Sound to work?
6) I have Pent. III- 866Mhz -512 RAM- Nvidia GF 4 Vid card- ASUS MOBO. My Lil' Bro said I should use Win2000 bc it would work better than XP home or Pro with the system I have.
-Is that true? Why? I'd prefer to use XP do you think thats a good/bad Idea?
I know this is a lot of questions. I hope I can get some help with them. I realize I need a newer PC, but this one was free & its an upgrade over my other PC. Please disregard the Signature Info you see below about my Laptop Specs. These question don't pertain to that system.
Thanks for the help!!!
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!