Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ps3 Vs Xbox 360

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fremder

Fremder

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:17 PM

I was wondering since the PS3 and Xbox 360 share some games, are there any differences between them. Like does some of the multi-platform games play better on one system than another. Does one have better graphics than another? Better controls?

I don't want people to argue which is better, just how the games play. I know my question is general, so I will try to specify. For example the Orange Box came out to the 360 and the PS3, the reviews say that the PS3 version sucks compared to the 360 version. I don't want to get the Orange Box for a console, I already have it for the best system, the PC :thumbsup: . Just generally does it matter which system the games are played on, will they play exactly the same, no matter what console?

Edited by Fremder, 12 December 2007 - 01:25 PM.

You will not like me if I'm angry.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cliver

cliver

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:37 PM

Majority of multi platform games run and look a bit better on the 360 from my experience and others ive talked to. Its a well known fact with certain games like assassins creed.

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:59 PM

Yea, a big part has to do with developers and the hardware. The PS3 has to be programmed for differently than the current norm so it's been taking a while for developers to get it right. Many multi-platform games have suffered on the PS3 compared to the 360 due to this. Some developers have been stating a better way to make multi-platform games would be to have the PS3 version as the lead version and then port the 360 version from there because the way developers have been doing it would be to have the 360 version as the lead and finished first and them porting the PS3 version from there.

There are a couple though that are similar in performance. I believe Oblivion and Call of Duty 4 are two examples of the games looking similar on both platforms (I believe The Darkness was the same on both platforms too). As for the Orange Box, I've read that Portal is more or less perfect on the PS3 version, but the other games of the Orange Box aren't as good. Gabe Newell of Valve has been pretty outspoken against the PS3 and the different way of programming (more complex) so rather than internally develop the PS3 version of the Orange Box, Valve sent it to some other developers at EA and knowing how well EA has been doing PS3 games (sarcasm of course, lol), it's not going to be as great.

1up.com trashed the PS3 version of the Orange Box, but other sites such as IGN.com and Kotaku.com (especially Kotaku) weren't nearly as harsh. Actually, the writer who played it from Kotaku described it as having some issues, but he didn't think it was as bad as 1up was saying.

#4 Fremder

Fremder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

Some developers have been stating a better way to make multi-platform games would be to have the PS3 version as the lead version and then port the 360 version from there because the way developers have been doing it would be to have the 360 version as the lead and finished first and them porting the PS3 version from there.

Interesting, but it looks like the PS3 would need to do more to catch up to the 360. Its kind of weird that the Playstation franchise used to be the must have platforms, but now its kind of a joke. Kind of sad :thumbsup: . But I guess the next question would be is if its the PS3's fault or the game developer's fault, probably both.
You will not like me if I'm angry.

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:57 PM

While I'd rather buy it on the PC, I was fortunate enough to come across the PS3 version of the Orange Box today at the local rental store (only because Uncharted and UT3 were out). So far with Portal and Team Fortress 2, I wouldn't call them awesome. I don't know how the 360 version is, but I'm not liking a lower frame rate since it kills how you play. Unless of course I were using a mouse and keyboard since they feel like an extension of my arms and hands compared to a couple of buttons and nobs that make up a controller.

With Portal, frame rate drops were a little annoying, but the most annoying of it would happen once I made two portals and stood outside and looked through the first one, which is something you have to do for launching a portal and plotting your next move, it would start to chug. The frame rate is also a problem with Team Fortress 2 and feels like a greater problem than with Portal because it's a multi-player game so it's already hard enough for me to try and use the controller, but throw a lower frame rate and it makes it that much harder.

While I'm sure people more used to controllers would have an easier time I did, it's still annoying for me. However, any of these problems I've mentioned would be tolerated much better on the PC because honestly, a lower frame rate usually means I can turn down some graphical settings compared to not being able to do a darn thing on the consoles.

Edited by Wizdabest, 15 December 2007 - 08:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users