Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Load Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tnfyrfghtr

tnfyrfghtr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

Everytime I try to click on anything on the computer I get the error message:
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them."

I am accessing the internet with another computer because the infected computer wont allow me access to anything..
I cant run the Kellys Korner help that FireKracker suggested in his post because I cant access the internet on that computer.
Anyone have any suggestions for this problem??
Thanks

Mod Edit: Split from Can Not Execute A Single Program~ TMacK

Edited by tnfyrfghtr, 12 December 2007 - 01:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:14 PM

Try taking ownership of all the files and folders on the drive.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tnfyrfghtr

tnfyrfghtr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for your quick reply Budapest.
A couple more ?'s....
Do I have to take ownership of each and every file on the computer like that? or is there a way to do them all at once. As I said, I have no control of anything on the computer. Anything I click on comes up with the same error. If I have to do them individually, I will...
Also, I have 2 user accounts set up on the computer through the control panel, however when I click on the security tabs in the properties of the folders/files it comes up with 4 different names....
CREATOR OWNER
SYSTEM
Administrator(numbers in these parenthesis)
Users(numbers in these paretnthesis)
Any further assistance you can give is greatly appreciated.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:54 PM

At Step 1, where it says "Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties", instead of clicking on a file or folder click on the drive and then continue with the other steps.

I'm not sure about the different accounts - but the Administrator account is probably the Safe Mode account.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 tnfyrfghtr

tnfyrfghtr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:10 PM

Let me ask you this; if I re-formatted the hard drive and wiped everything off and then re-installed XP, would that get rid of the problem? I ask because this computer belongs to a friend of mine and all he uses it for is to access the internet. There are no files or pics or anything personal on this computer so wiping it clean and starting over isnt a problem with him.
If this is a viable 'fix' could you direct me to the topic that explains reformatting and re-installing so I can get this information to him? I would try to walk him through it myself on the phone, but if I had something printed out that I could hand to him, it'd be a lot easier.
Thanks

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:14 PM

A reformat would almost certainly fix the problem. There is a good article on how to do this here.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users