Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For Advice On New Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 westislandbrewer

westislandbrewer

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:04 AM

Hello,

I am looking for a new laptop. The main function I will use this for is to watch movies and surf the net. I am looking at the 17" widescreen models. I saw one at a local store and the salesman played a hd-dvd (tomb raider) and I have to say I wasn't that impressed. It didn't really look that much better than a standard dvd on a 1440X900 screen. There are so many names to the screens out there "brightview" ultrabrightview etc. Can anyone recommend a good laptop model for the uses I mentioned earlier. My budget is around $1200. to $1500.

Kind Regards,

Philip

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

Dell XPS Are nice laptops. I have not had much experience on repairing laptops but I have used these (My dad has 3 of them). I have personally owned two IBM Thinkpads which are a little more rugged and best suited for on the go computing. As for screen size you have already taken the recommended step of going to a store and actually looking at one. Find the one that is best for you and then get that in the laptop of your choice. As for the different bright technologies they will effect how the picture is in different lighting.

Edit: There are others here with more laptop experience that can give you more Idea's

Edited by Sneakycyber, 15 December 2007 - 08:21 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:51 PM

Most of your newer laptops have the option in the BIOS, to allocate more of the system RAM for the video processor. So maxing out the Ram and allocating more to the chip would be the way to go. I doubt they did that to the one you looked at. Also different media players and the way they're set up can make a difference
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:53 AM

Well, I am assuming you want to watch DVD movies not ones from the Internet so you would need a very good graphics card and a fast proccessor, My personall opinion is to go with Dell because most people I know have said that they are better than other brands in reliablity and customer support and are overall better. But, do some research on the graphic card that come with the laptop and you should be able to work out which is better for you.

#5 Grdn1014

Grdn1014

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:10 AM

Dell, HP, or Mac Book are your only solid A++ choices.

Edited by Grdn1014, 21 December 2007 - 10:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users