Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:53 PM

High all, I made a fresh installation of XP Home last week and am now getting the following message when the desktop loads, Windows cannot fin’D:\Cdsetup.exe’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, then click search., when I look in the Event Viewer I get this message, The device.\Device\CDROMO, has bad block.

My DVD-RW will not read some of my CDs like my OEM version of Nero. I have uninstalled the drive in the device manager and had the wizard reinstall it with now change. I've tried googling this only to find conflicting reports, I hope someone here has run into the before and can shed some light on it.

Thanks, dc3

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:07 AM

sounds like your burner's dirty or gone bad, cable is fine?

was the xp cd in pristine condition?

check with another optical drive

Edited by DaChew, 12 December 2007 - 12:11 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:33 AM

Hi Chewy, the drive works fine for reading all but one or two of my CDs, I have copied and burned DVDs since the installation.

I have another cable that I can switch, but I don't think that is the problem as I can still use the drive for most everything else.

I hate to think that I have a bad installation of XP but that certainly wouldn't be out of the question, I'd sure like to not go through reinstalling it again and updating everything on a dial up again if I can avoid it.

I just did a search for the D:\Cdsetup.exe and it isn't found, is this a missing file?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:51 AM

We can rule out the drive and IDE cable, I changed both with known working units and have the same situation, I also fired it up without the cable or power connected with no change.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:00 AM

I've read that this problem can be caused when a program has been installed from a CD, then the disk was removed before the system was restarted. Doing this leaves an entry in the startups calling for the CDSETUP.EXE program. See if you can locate and delete the entry using Autoruns.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:14 AM

I think Budapest is right, if the hardware and disks are good. It's been a long time since I even pulled the xp cd out too early,
all I can remember is you have to start all over to fix it, wonder what cd/installer it was?
Chewy

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:29 AM

The only CDs that I have used since the reinstall are for drivers, and the only one that I can think that could be responsible is the driver CD for my hp printer. For what ever reason it didn't want to work the first time that I tried to install it.

Budapest...how do you use the Autoruns

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:59 AM

I am not so sure you can rule out the drive or cable as the culprit, a while back I was helping my daughter with a couple of older computers. The xp install went fine, we had one cd that wouldn't load, it checked out in 2 other computers, I told her to replace an old 40 conductor cable, since the drive was a newer one, the problem went away.
Chewy

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:11 AM

You can download AutoRuns from here. If you locate the entry for CDSETUP you can right-click on it and select delete.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:48 AM

Budapest, I downloaded that and ran it and found the CDSETUP which had file not found beside it, that made it pretty easy to identify it as the culprit. I unchecked it, restarted my computer and it is gone! Good call and good solution, thanks for the help.

Chewy, the only thing that made me think it could possibly be the drive was the what now turns out to be only one disc that it couldn't read. After washing both of the two that it couldn't read one of them was readable. I'm guessing that the OEM Nero disc is toast.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:11 PM

Glad you solved it :thumbsup:.

The "bad block" message for optical drives...only means that it was unable to read a CD/DVD that was inserted.

Not quite the same impact as a bad block warning on a hard drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users