Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Whole Lot Of Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kefflen

kefflen

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:30 PM

Hi there folks,

I hope you can help me with some problems I've been having lately.

When I turned my computer on the other day Windows flashed an error screen which I cannot remember what it said. As important as the error might have been, I still logged on but the computer started crashing and Windows Media Player wouldn't open. I decided to format.

When Windows was installing it flashed an error screen about a missing .dll. I tried formatting a couple other times but I still got the missing .dll error and every time it complained about a different .dll. Even though it complained about the missing files, it still managed to install Windows and I tried installing all my programs as usual (including Norton, which went fine) until the computer started crashing and flashing error screens. So, thinking there was something wrong with my copy of Windows, I got a new copy from a friend. His copy already had Service Pack 2, which mine hadn't, in case that's relevant.

Installation occurred with no problems using his cd and again I started installing all my programs as usual. Everything went alright with the exception of Norton. First it gave me an error screen when I was unzipping it so I got another copy of Norton from a friend and again it gave me an error screen when unzipping. It works fine on his computer but it just won't unzip on mine.

What can I do? Is the problem Norton or Winrar? Any help will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:20 AM

What error message are you getting when you. Is this a current version of Norton?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 kefflen

kefflen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:18 AM

Since I couldn't unzip Norton properly I asked a friend to send me only the files that Winrar found to be corrupt. I tried to install Norton then and I got this error message:

Posted Image

By the way, it's Norton 2005.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:39 AM

What I was asking is did you pay for the update to make it current or are you using as is?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:23 AM

Random errors due to missing files, and errors when trying to install files, can often indicate that your hard drive is going bad. Run chkdisk and see what sort of report it gives you.

Just FYI, using your friend's XP and Norton on your own system is illegal unless you bought your own licenses.

#6 kefflen

kefflen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:25 PM

I've given up on Norton. That solved it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users