Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe To Download Updates?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

I installed Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit) recently and its been awesome. One thing I've wondered though is if the updates are trustworthy? I've left automatic updates off so far because of what I've heard. One friend of mine had one of the updates installed on his computer, and his internet stopped working so he did a system restore and was fine. Another friend had a problem too, but I forget what it was. I've also heard from a few other people online with having the updates screw something up on their computer. So is it really worth it to install the updates? Has anyone else had problems with them? Thanks!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ArmyDoll

ArmyDoll

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:29 PM

Wish I knew an answer for ya, but I know mine does not even install the updates properly....or should I say at all.
Posted Image

#3 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:33 AM

So is it really worth it to install the updates? Has anyone else had problems with them?

Sure, people have had the occasional problem with Windows updates, but between the knowledgeable folks at BC, the KB at Microsoft, and the occasional search on Google for additional info, they eventually get solved. I had an update problem a week or two ago that required help, and all is well now. Remember, people only talk about their problems, not about how everything is going smoothly.

You bet it's worth it to install them! I just downloaded 7 new updates tonight, and 6 of them concerned security issues. Security should always be a major concern to any computer user. Other updates usually include glitch and bug fixes, and sometimes even provide noticeable improvements.

I've found that the best way to handle updates is not to let MS automatically install them. I changed my settings so that I receive notification of new updates, but I select when and which ones to download at any given time. One of the reasons I do it this way is that I'm on slow dialup, so a single download of, say, 38 MB for 7-10 updates doesn't work for me. The other reason is that since I can review each individual update, I can research anything I don't recognize before downloading.

So, there's my 2 cents' worth. :huh:

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:07 AM

I agree with Dialer, I run 32bit and have had one problem as the update would not install but I worked around it. I would install all MS updates.
MCP
MSDST

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:27 PM

i to agree with Dialer too ,,,, also if your worried about the download messing your system up, download 2 at a time & write down which one's they are & check everything's ok with your pc when installed then go on to the next 2,,, this will make it easyer to detect which update give's problems & delete it without loseing them all with a restor,,, takes a little more time but gives you the best of both options,,, important updates and piece off mind.
good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:12 PM

Thank you everyone! I'll probably download some tonight!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

You're very welcome, Sterling14. And I think you were smart to ask around, rather than just going by your friends' experiences.

Good luck with your downloads! :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users