Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When I Try To Open My Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ArmyDoll

ArmyDoll

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:02 PM

When I try to open the Control Panel, all I get is the "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" error. And, of course my control panel does not open.

Looking at my reliability monitor shows rundll32.exe repeatedly "stopped working" under my application failures.

I also get the error that Windows Sidebar has stopped working everytime I boot up.

I am unsure if these happenings are related and am unsuccessful in figuring out how to fix it. I am also assuming upon running a spyware scan and removal may be the causing factor.

Any help is appreciated.

I am using Windows Vista Basic
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:21 PM

Hi ArmyDoll

1)Try running Chkdsk for errors:

Go to Start>> Computer
Right click the hard disk that you would like to test.
Select Properties
Select the Tools tab
Click the Check Now button under Error-Checking. You may be prompted for an administrators password or confirmation at this point.
Select the option: "Automatically fix file system errors"
Select the option: "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". Selecting this option will perform a thorough scan of your selected hard disk and attempt to fix any physical errors on the drive. Depending on the size of your hard disk, this could take quite some time to complete. For best results, avoid using your computer system during this process.
Click Start

2) If chkdsk didn't help you can try to restore your computer back to when things did work:

Go to Start>> All Programs>> Accessories>> System Tools>> System Restore
Click Next
Select "Choose a different restore point"
Click Next
Select a date and time that you would like to restore to.
Click Next to begin the process
In the confirmation prompt, select Yes.
Once system restore has completed the process, your computer will restart.

#3 ArmyDoll

ArmyDoll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:32 PM

oh kewl.....going to try this now. I would say be back in a jiffy, but sounds like it may take a moment. Thank you soooo much for your time and help. I already learned something new today. I will post an update when I return.
Posted Image

#4 ArmyDoll

ArmyDoll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:23 AM

Well, darn. That didn't work and I have not created a restore point back far enough to correct the problem. Also, my Vista cd is in NC where I live. I am in another state. I may have to try and remember which box it is packed in so I can have it mailed to me...but, in the mean time, any other thoughts/suggestions would be great.
Posted Image

#5 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

Hopefully you can get a hold of your Vista CD, unless you know anyone with the same Vista Basic cd. Once you have your cd, go to this link and it gives directions on repairing Windows Vista:

http://www.windowvistarepair.com/phpBB2/vi...5590029862fce9d

#6 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:58 AM

Usually turning UAC off will fix this issue.

Click Start>type "msconfig" in start search (without "")>go to Tools tab>click on disable User account control (requires reboot)>Click apply.

Restart your PC.

That should fix the issue, it usually does.

I would also perform a good deep scan to look for spyware infections.

Hope it helps

Mav

#7 ArmyDoll

ArmyDoll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:19 PM

Thanks .... will give that a try. :huh:
Posted Image