Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Using Usb Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:03 PM

I have quite a weird problem. My keyboard on my laptop has broken.. which means I can't enter my password and install the drivers it needs. Therefore, I tried to boot up into Safe Mode so that I could install the drivers but the problem is that when I try and boot into Safe Mode, I get a stall at mup.sys, I heard this could be due to a USB peripheral being plugged in, but there isn't so this isn't the problem.

I was wondering if anyone else had any solutions as too how I could get the USB keyboard workings.. or help with why the laptop won't boot into Safe Mode?

I've even tried booting into a Linux live CD to check if everything is okay, but X server isn't working either. So that's a no go either without being in BASH/Terminal for a while.

Help =] Please x

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:12 PM

That is a noodle scratcher...

Question: does the laptop have a PS/2 port? If so, try using a PS/2 keyboard to log in with.

(PS: you might also try hitting ctrl+alt+del a couple of times to see if it'll allow you to bring up the classic login screen. Some people have said that it works even if the keyboard 'appears' to not be working)

#3 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

Yea', I've tried that, I tried bringing the classic login screen up and was planning to boot up as admin user as that wouldn't need me to enter a password, but I need to type the word admin.

The problem with needing to type admin is that the keys 'a', 's', 'd' & 'f' don't work. Therefore, no admin =]

I really am stumped by this problem. I really have tried everything I can think off and it's really bugging me.

It's a nightmare.. laptop keyboard won't work, therefore can't enter password, external keyboards don't seem to be working without drivers being installed, but can't install the drivers without either being in safe mode or managing to log into admin or normal user account.

I have another idea but I'm not sure that I can bring up the on screen keyboard without changing the settings when inside of windows.

Pfft anymore ideas? Btw, no ps/2 I'm afraid.

Edited by danbrownlow, 11 December 2007 - 07:32 PM.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:36 PM

Longshot here: try using the Windows Key+U combination to launch the utilities manager, then the onscreen keyboard.

#5 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

Nice idea! Unfortunately, she's now gone home. Will try tomorrow and let you know. Thank you for the suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users