Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Upgrade My Ram?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jasonh1818

Jasonh1818

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:02 PM

I have a hp laptop comuter. For a few months its been sluggish. I have the newest version of the webroot spysweeper and cleaned out all the spyware and adware. I am running microsoft xp professional service pack 2 build 2600. It has a Intel Pentium M 1.70GHz processing chip and 512MB of ram. The ram is expandable to 2GB. I was wondering if ugrading the ram to 1gb by adding a second 512mb ram card would help out. If that is the case I heard that I have to get the same company brand ram card that is currently installed. The type of ram card I have and that is needed is DDR PC2700.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

Crucial would probably be a good place to find out exactly what ram you need, it would be better tho if you had someone here check it out first, give the model and series number of your laptop

However throwing more ram at a slowing computer is not the best option, cleaning it up and optimizing it are the real fixes, or even doing a clean install of the OS

I have been running xp on a power user setup, fully optimized and 512 megs of ram for 2 years and I have noticed no slow down, of course I don't run hardly anything in the background. It takes a lot of work to keep one running right.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:25 AM

You will notice a big difference in the performance with another 512MB of RAM. Unless you are running in dual channel you don't need to have matched modules. You can go to Crucial and use their scan to see what they suggest, I have yet to get bad information from them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Jasonh1818

Jasonh1818
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:53 PM

I bought a 512 ram card that I needed. I had already found out the kind i needed which was ddr pc2700 and I did notice a huge increase in performance. as for the opimizations how can I do that or go about doing that? I already defragged my computer as well as did a disk clean up first.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:22 AM

that's a good start, adjust for best performance by turning off some of the eye candy, keep smooth edges of screen fonts

turn off drive indexing

and turn off programs loading at startup

I have about 300 megs free out of 512 after I boot up, mine is faster that way than if I had more ram and left a bunch of crud running, I tested with a gig and found no performance increase with video encoding, as long as windows has plenty of ram available.
Chewy

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:25 AM

Following is a link to a site that is run by some Spyware Warriors. It is very helpful for optimizing your PC.

http://pcpitstop.com/

Run their "Full Test Suite", listed on the right. It will give you suggestions on how to make things run better. Check it out.

DR

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:21 AM

It yellow flagged me for ram, told me I needed more but gave me the highest score in my class

Edited by DaChew, 13 December 2007 - 11:21 AM.

Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users