Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mp3 - Pc Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sluggp

Sluggp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

I recenly bought my daughter a mp3 player for christmas. Im trying to load it with her favortie songs before i wrap it up. The problem is that my computer keeps asking for software. This device does not need software, it should show up like a flash drive. I put this same device on my laptop and had NO problems. I also had this issure with a digital camera (work on laptop, not on desktop) so this makes me believe there must be a setting or something that has changed. Any help on this matter would be most appreciated!

I am running Windows XP.

Edited by Sluggp, 11 December 2007 - 06:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

I have a small, inexpensive .mp3 player, which came with a driver mini-CD. This allows XP to properly recognize the player in the same manner that a flash drive might be.

Not all .mp3 players are recognized minus drivers/software of some sort...you might read the instructions for using said player.

Louis

#3 Sluggp

Sluggp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:52 PM

My mp3 is also an inexpensive one but did not come with a driver cd. The only thing that the instructions say to do is to plug it in and click and drag files. I am also running windows xp on my laptop and the device works perfectly on it. This is what has me puzzled. I also have a digital camera that does the exact same thing. I'm running the same windows on both computers, but it only works on the laptop. Seems that my desktop doesnt recognize anything as a disk drive (camera or mp3).

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

OK...can you tell me the name/model number of said player...so I can look up some info?

Louis

#5 Sluggp

Sluggp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

I couldnt find a model number but it is a samsung 1gb. im sure now that this is an issue with my comuter and not the device. I went and bought a new flash drive (Dane-elec 2GB) and the same thing happens, desktop asks for software and laptop works fine! :huh:

WTF!!!!! :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:16 PM

OK...if you think it's a problem with your system, the answer is to purchase/install/use a PCI card for USB purposes.

Did you try uninstalling the USB controller via Device Manager and letting XP reinstall same?

Really, in my limited experience, it's not uncommon for onboard USB ports to go on the fritz and I just keep a 4-port PCI card available for USB purposes (if it cannot be cured by uninstall/reinstall).

The fact that it works as you desire on a totally different system...well, that would be valuable if the systems were exactly alike. But USB is pretty much a Go/No Go proposition in my experience. All one can generally do is uninstall/reinstall or use a PCI card, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 December 2007 - 06:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users