Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unzipping File Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mannixj

mannixj

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:00 AM

Asking this on behalf of my teenage son.

He purchased brand new computer, quad processor, 2gb ram, top line graphics card etc.

When he downloads zip files, either from Internet, CD/DVD or other drives and extracts them, they appear to extract ok,
but upon completion of extraction it tells him that the the size extracted does not agree with the size of the file zipped and that the file is corrupted and therefore unusable.

He has tried several different programs and several different files, result is the same each time. We have checked settings in Windows, Anti virus programs and tracking software, but cannot see any options that would prevent files been unzipped once physically on harddrive.

I have even tried files that unzip fine on my computer, but not on his, still no success, the files will unzip fine on an external drive, plugged into his main cpu but not on the C drive. He has uninstalled and reinstalled the unzipping programs, and tried different versions etc, but still not successful..

very small files, ie 1 mb or so seem to unzip ok, but not larger ones.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:16 AM

Hi there mannixj, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Try running a disk check to repair any file system errors on the C: drive.

Click on Start then Run... then type the following:
chkdsk C: /r /x

That tells Windows to perform a check on the next reboot. So reboot and let it run.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:34 AM

What program is he using to extract the files? You could try another one. There are a few mentioned here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:23 PM

http://www.thefreesite.com/ezip35.exe

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#5 mannixj

mannixj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:08 AM

Hi everyone, thanks for such quick response,
I will try to address the questions/suggestions in order
AmazingAndrew ;; It is a brand new computer, picked up Sat from computer dealer, it was built to spec, not off the shelve model. It was whilst trying to install programs, games etc, that the problems were occuring, so assumed everything should have been in order.... but we will give your suggestion a try and see what shows up.

Garmanma: He tried a couple of versions of WinZip and also WinRar, as that is what he was using on his previous computer. We uninstalled and reinstalled the program each time, and as I said previously, they both worked when extracting to a remote/removable hard drive connected directly to this computer, but not when extracting to the C: drive of the computer.... I will direct him to the link you suggested and he can try some alternativates.

Medab1: Thanks also for the response and the link, we will explore and see what we can find.

It seems a stange problem and not one I have encountered before in my nearly thirty years of IT application usage and teaching, and rather frustrating for my son, who has worked hard over the last six months to save and buy his dream computer, so I will appreciate any help we can get in resolving the problem

regards Joan M

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:19 AM

You could try the following fix at Kelly's Korner to see if that has any effect on the problem.

Restore Zip Folders to Default in XP - #139 on the left.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users