Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 terrordv

terrordv

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:03 AM

what does allocated hard drive space mean? i tryed used google to search for it but i dont understand what there talking about. does it just mean files that cant be move becouse windows thinks it owns it, and it desides were to put it evering if it slows down read/write times? im useing vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:43 AM

It depends on what this is referring to. Could you specify where you're getting this info from within Windows? Is it an error message or a dialog or a screen/window that you see?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:49 AM

Allocated is a term that is not used nearly as much as Unallocated, when refering to disk space.

If you Right-click My Computer and then Left-click Manage, your computer management app will open. :flowers:

Go to Disk Management and you should see a graphic representation of your hard drive, on the right. :thumbsup:

Unallocated space is that which has not been included in a partition. (You should see at least 1 partition, the C: drive)

Allocated space is that disk space that is included in the partition(s).

Unallocated space comes from a variety of means.
It can be extra space that is good but just wasn't included in the first partition.
It can be bad sectors that have been excluded from any partition.

You can sometimes recover unallocated space using third-party partition apps, such as Partition Magic.

I hope this has helped.

DR

#4 terrordv

terrordv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:22 PM

thank you, i was useing auslogics disk defrag. no errors on this computer just on my XP system. its really anoing me becouse it slows down alot what i mean by that is if im playing winamp and i want to open up my documents winamp studders and i have to wait like a 10 or so secents for it to open up. never used to be like that tell a few months ago. when i posted this i had started the auslogic disk defrag, and its still runing on my other pc. so its been runing for like 12 or 13hrs and thats only one hard drive its an older hard drive, its a Quantum fireball, 30gig. *new company name western digital* i used there disk zero fill program that didnt help any. is it dieing and should i lay it to rest? its not making any odd noise so im not sure about it.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:24 AM

In the context of drive defragmentation, allocated space is the portion of the drive being used to hold files. Unallocated space is the remaining drive capacity that is currently "free", still available to store further files. If the defragmenter reports that it is currently defragmenting allocated drive space, it is defragmenting the contents of files.

Defragmenting involves several processes, the defragmenting of files or allocated space is the one that most people think of as "defrag". I'm not familiar with the specific defragmenter to know how fast it is, or what specific strategies it defaults to. But if the drive is close to full, ie there is not much free space on it, any defragmenter can run very slowly and take many hours to complete. It is also possible that the drive is not in good shape - older Quantum drives have some reliability questions in my experience.

I don't quite understand what you mean about the "new company name Western Digital" and using their zero fill program. Quantum drives are supported by Seagate - if you tried a Western Digital utility that could explain why it didn't do anything. If you'd successfully used a zero fill utility, the drive would be completely blank.

Seagate say:

"If this is a Seagate or Maxtor (or Quantum) ATA or SATA drive, please download the SeaTools for DOS diagnostic to test it. If the drive is failing, the tests in SeaTools for DOS will indicate as such."

So if you'd like to do a diagnostic on the drive to see if it's health is failing, you can download the correct tools here:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users