Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Western Digital Hard Drives To Block Music Sharing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:44 AM

'Digital locks' future questioned

One of the world's largest hard disk manufacturers has blocked its customers from sharing online their media files that are stored on networked drives.

Western Digital says the decision to block sharing of music and audio files is an anti-piracy effort.

Link
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:58 AM

Geez,

one more reason not to buy their product. What if you reside in a country where filesharing is still legal?

...Professional content producers have struggled to adapt to this changing world...

There is a few other good quotes, but does not really go into pros and cons. I am getting tired of these discussions, where it all boils down on the big music dinosaurs having slept for too long and now producing all kinds of nonsense with today's digital life.

I prefer DRM free music and no "water marked" music either. As long as no propper solution is worked out, I wont use their download services as much as I would be prepared to do so (as long as prices and copyright issues are not at a level one doesnt feel ripped off or censored in any way). For now, I prefer waiting for the CDs to drop into low prices and buy them then. Dont listen enough music to be prepared to pay 20 bucks for something I dont listen often enough to. I guess it would be a different story if one was like "the" fan of some band. Then one probably would even pay 40 bucks for a CD :thumbsup: .

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:47 AM

This is utter crap. It'll be a cold day in hades before I buy anything that is intentionally crippled like this, and I'll actively discourage all my friends, relatives, and clients from doing so to.

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:12 AM

From the article:

Western Digital has blocked users from sharing more than 30 different file types, if they are using the company's software, called Anywhere Access.

So, you have to be using their software for the block to work, right?

Nothing is being blocked at the firmware/hardware level the way I'm reading it.

If what I'm saying is correct, then BBC's article would certainly be very misleading to many readers, in my opinion.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users