Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Mobo

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Doc12

Doc12

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:22 AM

My computer will no longer boot. When I power it on, the system just idles and doesn't even POST. There is no HD activity or anything of that matter. I'm thinking that I blew my MoBo as I was trying to get the Northbridge fan to stop making a wierd noise and acidently moved the fan (Just gave it a little pull). But is it the MoBo for sure?

Any input would be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:22 AM

When attempting to repair the fan You did turn the computer off first? You stated there is no HDD activity do they even spin up when the computer boots, what about cdrom drives any action there.. If there is no action on the drives I would be inclined to believe there is a problem with the power supply. More importantly what kind of computer are we working with?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:41 AM

Pull the power plug and wait a bit, check any connection you may have loosened, reseat if necessary, be gentle.

Noisy fans are usually aggrevated by dirt and neglect.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Doc12

Doc12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:34 PM

When attempting to repair the fan You did turn the computer off first? You stated there is no HDD activity do they even spin up when the computer boots, what about cdrom drives any action there.. If there is no action on the drives I would be inclined to believe there is a problem with the power supply. More importantly what kind of computer are we working with?

Yes I had the cmputer off. No the HD doesnt spin nor is there any action from the cd rom. It's a customer built computer from a few years ago. P4 HT 1GB RAM MSI MoBo. I want to fix it and donate it as it is time for a new one!

#5 Doc12

Doc12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:13 PM

I just plugged my HDD into another computer and is fine. Everything gets power in the system, but the monitor remains blank. I dont even get the option to hit the F keys to get into the bios. Videdo card is fine too. The fan that I messed with is a stock MSI fan that came with the board and is mounted on at the factory.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

the northbridge fan shouldn't keep the computer from working, the northbridgechipset under it if damaged would stop any video from being displayed

motherboard would be toast
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:59 PM

try disconnecting power from all your HDD(s) and optical drive(s), and then booting.

#8 general grievous

general grievous

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:21 PM

i just had a problem like yours with my computer, have you a high power demanding video card? or wichever other power sucking piece of hardware could be the problem, as soon as i changed my power source for a new one, everything seems ok.

try deep-cleaning all of your pc components, by unplugging them(cables, optical drives,floppy, hd, etc. excepting procesor thats a delicate piece of harware if you dunno what you doing so you'd better dont touch it) unmounth video cards, internal modems, etc etc. clean the pieces aswell as the ports they r attached on, then try setting the minimum hardware requirements for the system to boot up ( to ensure lower power usage). after all that done if it DOES start go inmediately into your bios and checkout your cpu's temperature, if it is overheating in a way it shouldn't do, try changing the thermal paste. then reboot again a couple of times letting it reach windows(or watever ur OS is) after that just power off ur system, unplug ur power cable and re-plug in the hardware you,ve unplugged before, plug in ur power cord and press the power button and let us know if it worked duh.

Edited by general grievous, 13 December 2007 - 04:34 PM.

#9 general grievous

general grievous

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:32 PM

My computer will no longer boot. When I power it on, the system just idles and doesn't even POST. There is no HD activity or anything of that matter. I'm thinking that I blew my MoBo as I was trying to get the Northbridge fan to stop making a wierd noise and acidently moved the fan (Just gave it a little pull). But is it the MoBo for sure?

Any input would be great!

btw if you say you 'pulled' the fan then i bet it has gotten loosened, try getting it back to its place, make sure it doesnt move around from its place, it has to be socked tight but make sure not to destroy ur mobo meanwhile u re socket it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users