Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bill Gates Says That Everyone Copies Ms

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:07 AM

Bill Gates thinks that every one copies Microsoft

And we all know that Microsoft never copied any thing from any one </obvious sarcasm>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:10 AM

If any one gets the chance to read a book I bought on ebay called "Bad Boy Ballmer" its a must read.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:19 PM

Gates built an empire by copying the real leader....Apple.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

There haven't been any real innovations in the world of PCs* since the first PCs were introduced. There have been adaptations of technology developed by industry or the military, or improvements in miniaturization, but there hasn't been anything truly new developed for or by PC users in three decades!!

Want to impress me? Show me an affordable home computer that has enough RAM to operate without a hard drive. If enough memory for most of the music in the known world can be fit into a music player the size of a cigarette pack, the why are computer users limited to a gig or two of RAM? Why not replace that clunky hard drive with about 8000G of RAM?

I'm sure it can be done. The manufacturers and marketers just don't want us to have lightning-fast, trouble-free computers. Where would they be if they provided computers that would work reliably for twenty years, never needing major repairs or "upgrades"?

* PC - generic usage. Meant to cover all Personal Computers, regardless of manufacturer or OS.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:26 PM

Gates built an empire by copying the real leader....Apple.

Are you talking about the GUI that Apple, arguably the real theives, copied (or stole) from Xerox?

Yeah, I guess you are right - Apple is the real leader in using someone else's ideas.

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:52 AM

This line of questioning, which essentially accused Microsoft of copying other people's inventions, sent the bespectacled founder into a tirade about how Microsoft does all the stupid things first, and that other companies, learning from Microsoft's mistakes, are able to build perfect versions of a particular product or service (and subsequently get the credit for being innovators).

To me, he's not really helping him self there...

We racked our brains trying to think of where other companies had blatantly copied Microsoft and actually came up empty.

Want to impress me? Show me an affordable home computer that has enough RAM to operate without a hard drive. If enough memory for most of the music in the known world can be fit into a music player the size of a cigarette pack, the why are computer users limited to a gig or two of RAM? Why not replace that clunky hard drive with about 8000G of RAM?

SSD ( Solid State Drives ) are coming , a few are available now. A 128gb from Toshiba is slated for spring. A number of Linux Distros will load up and run from memory and not need any hard drive.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#7 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:31 PM

The Duryea 1

Posted Image

"Running by February, 1893 and ready for road trials by September, 1893 the car built by Charles and Frank Duryea, brothers, was the first gasoline powered car in America. The first run on public roads was made on September 21, 1893 in Springfield, MA. They had purchased a used horse drawn buggy for $70 and installed a 4 HP, single cylinder gasoline engine. The car (buggy) had a friction transmission, spray carburetor and low tension ignition. It must not have run very well because Frank didn't drive it again until November 10 when it was reported by the Springfield Morning Union newspaper. This car was put into storage in 1894 and stayed there until 1920 when it was rescued by Inglis M. Uppercu and presented to the United States National Museum."

By the line of reasoning evident in this thread, every motor vehicle in the world is the product of "stealing" from these two brothers. Maybe their descendants should look into demanding compensation through the courts. For $100 trillion or so. What a media circus that would be!! :thumbsup:

#8 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:13 PM

And to think I actually paid for Windows :thumbsup:
X

#9 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:17 PM

And to think I actually paid for Windows :thumbsup:

No one forced you. You could always design your own OS. :flowers:

#10 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:39 AM

M$ is the biggest resource hog I have ever seen. Vista is a great example too. Its too bad its got such a high market share. If they didnt, it would be much easier to switch without a loss. If I d have figured out wine by now I d be gone over to Suse a long time ago and just install virtual machines with Windows to be up to date with the Malware stuff.

OT: Heh, reminds me of the winging of the music industry. sigh.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#11 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:24 AM

If I d have figured out wine by now...

If you ever do figure it out, let me know.

#12 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:33 AM

you do know that i war referring to wine and not wine lol. Because the latter I figured out a while ago and have gotten to love it :thumbsup: .

Edited by Yourhighness, 13 December 2007 - 09:33 AM.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#13 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:42 AM

:flowers: Funny! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users