Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Oh Where Do I Begin?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hynde02

hynde02

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:41 PM

First off well met.

Next, well ive decided i want a career in it. Now i thought from there on out it was just a matter of elbow grease and commitment. School is of course the way to go it most instances, however im startin out a bit late in life and it will take a bit before i am ready to get back into school. So i figure i would just go out and buy some manuals to get started with. Now i just got out of the NAVY and i thought the military was bad about using acronyms for everything until i got to the computer section of the book store. basically im just wondering where i should begin my computer learning odyssey? oh i did end up buying A+ books since it looked a bit more basic than much of the other books around. thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:14 AM

Depends on what direction you want your computer carer to take. There is A+ certification, Network + (if its still around) MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Expert), CNE (Certified Novel Engineer). Those are just ones off the top of my head. If you want to deal with mostly Hospitals and large file servers you will need to learn Unix and the AS400 file server. Some companies use windows based file servers (The University Of Toledo is all windows [my dad works there]) If you want to deal with mostly consumer based PC's the Microsoft Certification would be the place to start.

Edit: I have the official coursework for the MCSE training program ( the books are a few years old though ) I haven't had the time to actually study it yet its a large course and I wish you luck in your endeavors. Hopefully if I ever get back to school I will finish my degree.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 11 December 2007 - 06:17 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:21 AM

Hi hynde02, welcome to BC! :flowers:

No joke, start with the "For Dummies" or the "Complete Idiots Guide to ...". They are usually a very good starting point for the novice computer person. Even more advanced users can usually get something out of them. Not that I'm saying you're a dummy or a complete idiot of course! :thumbsup:

Extra tip: check out your local library for books. If you find one that's really good then buy it. That way you don't end up buying books that look good but are really not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users