Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beating A Keylogger?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 McMansion

McMansion

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:41 PM

Hello! This is my first post and I came here to ask a question in hopes of getting an answer from a seasoned expert in security matters.

I have a Microsoft Word document that I typed a full page of gibberish (a long time ago), but somewhere in all that text filled with random letters and numbers is my ID and password for my on-line bank and brokerage accounts. I obviously know where in the document these ID's and passwords are. What I do when I want to log into my accounts is open the Word document first, then open the sign-in web page for the financial account. I then copy and paste the ID and password from the Word doc to the sign-in page. I figure that since I am not actually physically typing these ID's and passwords when I sign in, that I am safe from keyloggers because there are no keystrokes to record. Am I right? Is this a safe method?

Thanks for a reply.

Dave M.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:44 PM

Welcome to BC McMansion

Some keyloggers can do more than monitor your keystrokes.

About Keyloggers and what they can do
Introduction to Keyloggers
Keyloggers: How they work and how to detect them
How to protect yourself from keyloggers
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 McMansion

McMansion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for the interesting info. My method is not that safe after all! After reading the articles, it looks like the way to go is to get a virtual keyboard withthe "mouse hover" feature. I did a quick feature search of a couple of virtual keyboards but couldn't find one. Do you or anyone else know of one? Thanks again.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

Someone may have better knowledge than I on this,but I don't think they're ready to market .Still too many glithches.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 McMansion

McMansion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

Here's another option I have thought of. How about using a macro? I sometimes use a macro to facilitate an easy way to flip through a bunch of stock charts and I know I can program my old macro program, AimKeys, to do mouse tracking and/or data insert w/o striking the keys on a keyboard.

I wonder if the keylogger spyware programs that can do a screen capture activated by a mouse click, can sense a *simulated* mouse click?

In addition, I forgot to mention that I use a multi-monitor setup, so I have the Word document on one screen and my financial account sign-in page on the other screen. I wonder if the screen capture type of keylogger programs can screen capture both screens at the same time? Maybe I do have them beat after all with a multi-monitor setup.

Any ideas?

Edited by McMansion, 11 December 2007 - 10:11 PM.

#6 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:35 PM

Have you thought about operating in a sandbox environment? This entry in the Sandboxie FAQ says that if a keylogger isn't already installed on your machine and you always browse in a sandbox, you won't get a keylogger installed.

Disclaimer: I can't vouch for any of this information, as I haven't yet tried running any sandboxes.

Edited by Dialer, 11 December 2007 - 10:36 PM.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:17 PM

Here's some further info on these environments

About.com

Sandboxie

Returnil Virtual System

Edited by boopme, 11 December 2007 - 11:17 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:00 AM

Another option would be to use the browser add-on, KeyScrambler Personal.
Here's a review on it, done by Grinler.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 McMansion

McMansion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:04 PM

Great find on that KeyScrambler personal! Thanks! I'd give you a rep point if we were at www.slickdeals.net

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:41 AM

You're welcome, McMansion.
Glad I could help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users