Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Browsing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KMF

KMF

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:03 PM

I just had Road Runner internet set up on my computer and I'm trying to get onto my school's website. I can get onto the main site but when I try to get onto one of the sites in it it tells me I need to have cookies enables. I've called the school's IT support and was walked through the process to enable cookies but it's still not letting me get in and is telling me that cookies need to be enabled. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:57 AM

Which browser do you use? Did they have you lower your security settings a bit or "allow cookies from this site"?
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 11 December 2007 - 08:58 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:20 PM

We're using IE 6. Yes, we tried setting the privacy to LOW to ensure the cookies being sent were not being blocked. We also tried to put the site into the trusted zones, but it will only accept the main site URL.

The computer is an older one. My daughter bought it from the computer program at the school she's attending. Apparently, they don't necessarily wipe the hard drives on these things b/c she started getting pop ups when she went online (one was to clean her registry...she called me after she'd gotten it and I told her not to mess with the registry and to just close out of it).

We were able to clean up some things and make some space so Windows SP2 just downloaded and she's got her security from Road Runner up and running. The pop ups stopped and I don't believe she has any viruses, but my concern is that she may have old adware/spyware on there that's creating the problem. I'll be going over tonight to try and download SpyBot and Ad-Aware from BC (she only has a 20 gig HD) and run those to clean up whatever they can find.

If you have any ideas off the bat that I can try tonight or that might be causing the problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
KMF

Edited by KMF, 11 December 2007 - 02:20 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,338 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

I would recommend you scan the PC with the Free Home User version of this http://www.superantispyware.com/

Scan while in Safe Mode... How To Start Windows in Safe Mode

Install and Update it.Reboot to Safe Mode. Then preform a Complete Scan.
Quarantine ALL items found. Reboot PC.
Also run the RoadRunner Anitivirus scan from safe mode.
Safe mode will stop any active malware nd make it easier to remove.

Edited by boopme, 11 December 2007 - 03:38 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:54 AM

Hey Boopme

Ran the superantispyware program and it found the same 4 tracking cookies that adaware found. Everything has been deleted and spybot says the system is clean. In the meantime, my daughter "suddenly" rememered that she might be able to get in another way; a back door of sorts. Sure enough....she was in!!! So, the four hours I wasted was for naught.....My guess is it's the school's web page and not the computer.

Thank so much for all your help!!! Have a great holiday!!!

KMF

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,338 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:19 AM

You're welcome and now that the system is clear you should set a new Restore Point. Name All Goodor something.
The easiest and safest way to do this is:
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
Click "OK".
Click the "More Options" Tab.
Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Enjoy the Holidays :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:20 PM

Will do....thanks again. *<:-D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users