Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Problem- At My Wits End- Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 i8nj

i8nj

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:36 PM

Hello all,

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have only one computer with a cable connection through Comcast for internet service. Additionally, I suscribe to AOL services but not an AOL connection. It is not well known that you can do this, but they will do this for you at a lower rate than is offered to people who use them as an ISP. When I log onto AOL it successfully uses my Comcast connection to go online. The software versions I have follow:

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 Service Pack 2
IE 7.0.5730.13.xp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
AOL 9.0 VR

I use McAffe anti virus and firewall which I subscribe to through Comcast.

Here is my problem...

The computer was fine for several months until this problem started. When I log onto AOL I can used the embedded version of IE on AOL without any problem. When I attempt to go onto IE without using AOL, I have no connection. It will search for a home page with the message, "Website found. Waiting for a reply..." and never get any further. This problem only manifests itself when I use the stand alone version of IE. I should also mention, other non-browser type software will work WITHOUT me logging onto AOL. Examples would be Limewire and MS Outlook Express.

This is what I have tried to fix it, but so far nothing has worked:

1) I was on the phone several times with Comcast support and after hours of trying different things, I was told each time they canít help and it is a Microsoft problem. They tell me to contact Microsoft support.
2) I have restored the computer back to a date prior to the start of this problem.
3) I read somewhere that the certain Windows updates can cause this. Consequently I removed all the updates after the date this problem started.
4) I have gone back to IE 6 and the previous version of AOL. When this did not work, I went back to the versions listed above.
5) I have also tried other browsers- Firefox, Opera & Netscape. Firefox & Opera do the same thing (hang up trying to connect) as IE. I couldnít even get Netscape to open after installation. The title window would come up for a few seconds then disappear, but the browser itself never opened. When I looked at the processes running in Task Manager, I saw navigator.exe running even though the browser didnít open.

Based on my symptoms and attempted repair as outlined above, it seems logical to me that this may be a problem with XP and not IE, but I am fresh out of ideas.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Pleeeeease.

Thanks,
Lyle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 i8nj

i8nj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

Thank you very much for the suggestions fightclub, but let me make my situation more clear: I use AOL for business purposes only and I don't want my kids to use AOL. That is why I have AOL in addition to comcast. So my goal here is for my kids to be able to go directly into IE through Comcast without using AOL, so they can go online and for me to be able to use AOL. Until recently, when this problem started, I was able to do that.

And by the way, I tried disabling McAfee and it didn't make any difference.

Edited by i8nj, 11 December 2007 - 06:41 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,146 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:04 PM

Hello i8nj, I've a comment

I have only one computer with a cable connection through Comcast for internet service.

5) Firefox & Opera do the same thing (hang up trying to connect)

The first line states a cable broadband connection. The second implies Dial up.
I'm suspecting something went screwy here. I believe you to have broadband so maybe we need to disable Dial up. Check to see if you are set to "Never dial a Connection."

Open up Internet Explorer (stopping dial attempts as you go)
Click on the Tools menu
Click on the Internet Options menu item
Click on the Connections tab
Put a dot in the circle next to Never dial a connection
Click Apply and OK

Hope this was it.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 i8nj

i8nj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:58 PM

Hello i8nj, I've a comment

I have only one computer with a cable connection through Comcast for internet service.

5) Firefox & Opera do the same thing (hang up trying to connect)

The first line states a cable broadband connection. The second implies Dial up.
I'm suspecting something went screwy here. I believe you to have broadband so maybe we need to disable Dial up. Check to see if you are set to "Never dial a Connection."

Thanks for the reply. That was a poor choice of words on my part. I can see how that misled you. I meant the program hangs up, as in freezes. I do not use dial-up and yes, the Never use dial-up box is checked.

Edited by i8nj, 12 December 2007 - 06:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users