Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Shut Itself Off During A Scan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:50 PM

I was running a very lengthy scan last evening(Housecall). I know this is a long scan, so I just shut off my monitor+went to bed.
I hoped the scan would be complete this morning+was eager to view the results. For some strange reason my CPU had shut itself off at some point. Pressing the power button didn't start it back up again. I didn't know what else to do so I turned off the power strip that connects everything to my system, then turned the power strip back on.

This happened to me once before a long time ago. Everything seems to be working okay+I was able to complete the scan.

I would like your input as to the "proper" steps/methods of getting my system back up + running if this happens again.

Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:53 PM

Be sure to check your power settings
Go to Start>Control Panel>Power Options and click on the Power Schemes tab. Make sure "turn hard disk off" and System Standby are set to "never"
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for answering. The 2 items you referenced were already set to never. The very first box under the power schemes tab gives me a choice of different power schemes. The one that is showing is called energy star. There are others to chose from but I don't know anything about power options at all.

My system kept shutting off a few times last night. I was able to get it back on, the powered it off for the evening.
Ever since running Housecall this strange thing happened.

Don't know what to do now.

Thanks for any input
honu1

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:50 PM

You say that your system shut itself off.

The only thing I've experienced that can do that is overheating...you might want to check the status of your fans and periodically check your CPU temperature (in the BIOS) just after doing something really intensive.

But I believe malware will result in the same effect, when a program is scanning and having real difficulty with a parasite.

Louis

#5 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:42 AM

I had to take my CPU in for a diagnostic as to why it kept shutting off.
No hardware issues were discovered.
I did have 3-viruses, 22-spyware,+1-rootkit

It was all cleaned up +seems to be running okay.

It was suggested to me by the tech who worked on my CPU that all the free virus protection programs carry spyware+virus. I've been coming here to BC for a while now to know that the virus programs you all offer (free) should be safe to use.
The guy probably wanted to make a little extra money by selling me virus programs that have to be renewed each year at a price. I'd like some feedback here if you feel the paid programs are better+safer than the free ones,please.

Thank's for the replies+it sure is good to be back online! :thumbsup:

honu1

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:13 AM

Glad you got it straightened out :thumbsup:.

As to the comments of the person calling himself a tech...it's always wise to remember that the world of business practice does not always admire or conform to telling the truth. The truth doesn't necessarily generate the sales dollars that a lie can generate with an unknowing customer/victim.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 December 2007 - 12:28 PM.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:18 AM

There are some rouge programs out there, as with anything else. If you follow the recommendations on this site you'll be OK
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users