Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Want To Try Linux [very Origional Topic Title :)]

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:37 PM

ok so i use my dads computer and my dad loves xp
i find it to be very ok
definetly my fav microsoft operating system
but i want to try linux, more specifically pclinux 2007 [ http://www.pclinuxos.com/ ]
now i know many versions of linux have a feature called live cd wich i think is two thumbs up
so if i burn the iso of pclinux2007 to disc [ i use isoBURN ]
and i put it in my computer and restart it will it instantly run in linux using the live cd
if i download somthing through linux will i be able to acess it when back in windows
when i restart my computer and i take the linux disc out will it go back to windows xp with all the stuff i have on here still on including the stuff i did downloaded with linux
will i be able to use programs like my games and opera web browser in linux

basically i want to use linux and my dad wants to use xp but i dont want to get rid of xp or the stuff on xp but i dont want to download something using linux and it dissapearing when i revert back to xp. i just want to be able to use linux when i use the disc and when i take it out im right back to xp again and my dad wouldent know any change

is this how it works or are there complications and other things like that

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankblourtango

frankblourtango

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:44 AM

I know with Knoppix, which is another live CD, you can save data to a folder on the drive so that you dont' loose it -OR- save the data and your configuration to a thumb drive.

It might bet a good idea to try to get ahold of a computer of your own somehow. If you blow up your dads machine you may end up living on the street!

Edited by frankblourtango, 11 December 2007 - 09:48 AM.

#3 Eoin

Eoin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:06 PM

:thumbsup: I applaud the move to linux, and to answer your yes. Must linux distros have a Live-Cd. I personally use Debian/Ubuntu and Ubuntu definately has a Live CD. Another nice thing, it will usually set up a dual-boot OS and a loader to choose between the two. Good Luck.

The Infamous Eoin
~~~The Infamous Eoin~~~

Mammon slept. And the beast reborn spread over the earth and its numbers grew legion. And they proclaimed the times and sacrificed crops unto the fire, with the cunning of foxes. And they built a new world in their own image as promised by the sacred words, and spoke of the beast with their children. Mammon awoke, and lo! it was naught but a follower.

from The Book of Mozilla, 11:9
(10th Edition)

#4 twiztidjuggalo666

twiztidjuggalo666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:57 PM

it will usually set up a dual-boot OS and a loader to choose between the two. Good Luck.

that is so awsome so that way i can just leave the disc in and my dad can do his buisness whenever

#5 daklander

daklander

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:38 PM

it will usually set up a dual-boot OS and a loader to choose between the two. Good Luck.

Only on a PCLOS install.....

that is so awsome so that way i can just leave the disc in and my dad can do his buisness whenever

You won't be able to leave the PCLOS cd in the drive and have your dad use his XP in normal boot mode. You may be able to access a boot media choice when you boot up by pressing one of the f keys, f8, I believer. Other than that you'll need to set you PC to boot from floppy and have a boot manager on that disk that will allow you to choose which OS you want to boot.
If you like PCLOS, I use it as my main OS, why not use the utility there to resize the windows partition and, depending on your storage size, set up a Linux partition and, if needed, a swap partition and install PCLOS as a dual boot system. That way you can boot to Linux and your dad can boot to XP. If you set your Linux browser to save to the Windows download folder that's already set up your dad will be able to use any Windows related things you download. I have 3 desktops and one laptop set to dual boot with PCLOS and either Win2K or Win XP.
Welcome to Linux.

Edited by daklander, 17 January 2008 - 10:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users