Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access Website

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:08 PM

On my computer downstairs, I can't access a website (www.thescoreboards.com). However, if I go upstairs to my sons computer, I can access it fine. I can also get to it from work and from the in-laws house (3 houses down.....lucky me). This happens in both IE and FF. I don't have a firewall and I've even turned off my AV (with no luck).

What's keeping me from getting to this site? :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

This may be your problem, unless someone has a better idea.

The reason you can't access a specific website if you are using a cable or broadband connection is because your router is set to obtain your IP address automatically. Usually this isn't a big deal, but if your cable company did something funky recently to the way they cache'd the DNS or are working from an old cache, it can result in you not being able to access a certain website.

Can't Access a Specific Website? Here's the solution.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

I think I might check for old cookies (which may be corrupted) for that website.

Louis

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

This may be your problem, unless someone has a better idea.

The reason you can't access a specific website if you are using a cable or broadband connection is because your router is set to obtain your IP address automatically. Usually this isn't a big deal, but if your cable company did something funky recently to the way they cache'd the DNS or are working from an old cache, it can result in you not being able to access a certain website.

Can't Access a Specific Website? Here's the solution.

Is this going to mess up my sons wireless internet (usb receiver on his computer, cable router on my computer)? ISP type stuff is not my forte....if I break it I can't fix it! :flowers:

I think I might check for old cookies (which may be corrupted) for that website.

Louis

Hmm...nope :thumbsup: I've deleted all the cookies, still no luck! Thanks anyways!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:44 PM

Try flushing the DNS cache
http://www.updatexp.com/dns-windows-xp.html
Something to try before turning the router into a brick :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:16 PM

Try flushing the DNS cache
http://www.updatexp.com/dns-windows-xp.html
Something to try before turning the router into a brick :thumbsup:
Mark

Tried it just now....no luck. So I tried it again. No luck. Third time is a charm! Nope, not for me. Still can't get to the site. :flowers:
Posted Image

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

Is it a Linksys router?

Shut down all systems.
Unplug your net connection from the power source.
Unplug your router.

If you have a Linksys router use an ink pen or paper clip
to push and hold the reset button on the back for at least 30 seconds

Let it sit for a minute at least.
Plug everything back in. Give at least two minutes to initialize

Try it then

Edited by Eyesee, 10 December 2007 - 10:45 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:46 AM

Try looking at the router logs for the time that you try to access that site.
If it shows traffic then, it may give a reason for the blockage
If it doesn't show traffic, then it's likely that the problem is a setting on your computer

You may also want to ping www.thescoreboards.com and see what you get (both the results of the ping and the traffic for it on the router).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:11 AM

Try entering the IP address of the website directly into your browser's address bar. This should bypass the need for a DNS lookup and yield some answer as to whether its a DNS issue at all.

My sources tell me that the IP for the site is 75.126.164.194

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

Ha! Fixed it! Not sure how...but I did! I did all of this.....

IPCONFIG /release [adapter]
Release the IP address for the specified adapter.

IPCONFIG /renew [adapter]
Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.

IPCONFIG /flushdns Purge the DNS Resolver cache. ##

IPCONFIG /registerdns Refresh all DHCP leases and re-register DNS names.

No clue how or why, but now I can access that site. Any idea why this fixed it?

Thanks!
Posted Image

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

Quite possibly the site was down (or there was some other error) when previously accessing the site. Windows caches its DNS lookups (so that it doesn't have to lookup the same IPs all the time). The problem is when a DNS lookup fails and gets cached. Windows thinks that the website doesn't exist and won't try looking it up again until either the cache entry expires or you flush the cache (which you did).

#12 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:50 AM

Must be the last part that did it, because this has been going on for over a month! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help everyone! :flowers:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users