Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected With Ie Defender

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deejay0722

deejay0722

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

Due to some "personal searching" by my younger brother this past weekend while he was supposed to be watching my dog, I now have the annoying and aggravating pleasure of being infected with what I believe to be the IE Defender virus. When doing just about anything on my computer (opening files on my desktop, trying to browse the internet, etc.), I am receiving the following pop-up message:

"Your browser was infected by Trojan.Win32.Obfuscated.gx You need to clean your system immediately, in other case it can be crashed soon! Click OK to download the high-tech antispyware protection software! (Recommended)"

I've did some research about the virus today using my work computer, and as I mentioned, I believe it is, or is some form of, the IE Defender virus. I've gone through many of the online forums and tutorials regarding how to go about deleting the virus, but so far nothing has seemed to help. I have performed the following steps thus far:

1. Ran AdAware full system scan and deleted "marked" files.
2. Ran Windows Defender full system scan and deleted "marked" files.
3. Ran SpyHunter software (downloaded from internet) and received a list of "questionable" files. Could not perform any deleting actions as the "free" version would not allow me.
4. Downloaded and ran HiJackThis. Looked at log file and could not match resulting file names with lists pulled from the internet posted by others who are/have been infected by the virus.

So, as you can see, I am stuck! Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

DJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:26 PM

How to Remove IE Defender (Removal instructions)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/114240/how-to-remove-ie-defender-removal-instructions/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 deejay0722

deejay0722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:02 AM

buddy215:

Thanks so much for your timely reply. Unfortunately the provided suggestions did not work, as no folder labeled IEDefender could be found, and the remaining steps did not fix the current problem. I am now in the process of following the steps provided in your link. I was able to delete my old version of AdAware, download the newest version, and I've run three successful scans thus far. I am now at work so I do not have access to my home computer, but I will continue with the suggested steps later this evening, and will post my HiJackThis log to the appropriate forum once I have exhausted all of the other steps leading up to that point.

Thanks again for your help!

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:46 AM

Super Antispyware also removes IE Defender. It updated yesterday with more identifiers for IE Defender.
Download and Install Super Antispyware free. Reboot into Safe mode and Run SAS. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:07 AM

If the guide did not help and if your using Win XP or 2000, please print out and follow the generic instructions for using "SmitfraudFix".
(If you have downloaded SmitfraudFix previously, please delete that version and download it again as the tool is frequently updated!)
-- If the tool fails to launch from the Desktop, please move smitfraudFix.exe to the root of the system drive (usually C:\), and run it from there.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users