Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chemed

chemed

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:18 PM

trying to use the program INFINITE CAMPUS from laptop, when I try to enter the "gradebook" I get the following Java errors

Infinite Campus, Inc. Grade Book Version 140 - 2008
DataManager constructor
Using GZip compression.
serverURL = http://72.164.49.10/campus/prism
Initing gradebook.
Version: Version 140 - 2008
java.io.IOException: Not in GZIP format
at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.readHeader(Unknown Source)
at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.infinitecampus.appletCommunication.HTTPCommunicator.getHTTPRequestAsBufferedReader(HTTPCommunicator.java:202)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.data.DataManager.loadGradebook (DataManager.java:873)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.Gradebook.openGradebook(Gradebook.java:209)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.Gradebook.init(Gradebook.java:144)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.GradebookApplet.init (GradebookApplet.java:100)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Gradebook LOADING ERROR
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.infinitecampus.appletCommunication.LilXMLParser.parse (LilXMLParser.java:44)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.parsers.DataParser.parse(DataParser.java:39)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.data.DataManager.loadGradebook(DataManager.java:876)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.Gradebook.openGradebook (Gradebook.java:209)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.Gradebook.init(Gradebook.java:144)
at com.infinitecampus.gradebook.GradebookApplet.init(GradebookApplet.java:100)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
<html><p style='color:#FF0000;'>There has been an error loading your Gradebook.</p><p style='color:#FF0000;'>Please submit the Java Console log to your Campus Contact for submission to Infinite Campus.</p></html>
starting.
java.io.IOException: Not in GZIP format
at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.readHeader(Unknown Source)
at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream .<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.infinitecampus.appletCommunication.HTTPCommunicator.getHTTPRequestAsBufferedReader(HTTPCommunicator.java:202)
at com.infinitecampus.appletCommunication.HTTPCommunicator.getHTTPRequestAsBuffer (HTTPCommunicator.java:246)
at com.infinitecampus.appletCommunication.HeartBeat.sendHeartBeat(HeartBeat.java:67)
at com.infinitecampus.appletCommunication.HeartBeat.run(HeartBeat.java:46)
at java.lang.Thread.run (Unknown Source)

WHAT IS GZIP FORMAT? PLEASE HELP! ANYONE!

-chemed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:40 PM

This is not really a Vista problem, so once I figure out what you are trying to do, I'll try to move this to the right place. IS this an online application that you are trying to use? Can I assume that you are supposed to be uploading a file to that website? And it is when you upload the file (which I am assuming contains grades), that you get the error?

All the error is saying is that it was expecting the input, presumably the file you were trying to upload, to be in gzip format. And since it wasn't, it just gave up because it didn't know what to do. Aside from the fact that this is a crappy way to handle errors (clients should never see the error stack trace....), have you been able to use this before, or is this something new?

GZip is just an archiver, like winzip or winrar. If you are required to upload your contents in a particular format, the instructions should spell out what you have to do.

Oh, and the error is on their end. You may have accidentally caused it, but the error messages you are seeing are a result of what is happening on their server. What you should have gotten was some nice message that stated that your file needed to be in a gzip format, and then provided a link to a set of instructions.

#3 chemed

chemed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:07 PM

Infinite Campus is a remote gradebook server that teachers in my school district uses to post grades. Basically, its a way for teachers to electronically enter grades without using Excel and a way for students and parents to check their grades from remote locations.

I have a laptop with XP and the latest version of Java installed and the system works fine. However, the teachers that have laptops with VISTA seem to run into this problem (So I posted in the VISTA forum). Most of them are fixed when FIREFOX is installed with the latest JAVA version.

I was doing this for a co-worker that has VISTA, but this time, it didn't work.
The error message basically said that the "gradebook is unable to open, copy JAVA console message and contact IC administrator"

So, the JAVA log that I posted was from the JAVA console. I posted here because the school's administrator of Infinite Campus typically knows less about these issues than the teachers.

The grades are entered directly into Infinite Campus via the JAVA based program, they are not uploaded from any satellite programs, so the formatting shouldn't be an issue...right?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

That's what happens when one presumes.... :huh:

Does Infinite Campus have support forum then?

#5 chemed

chemed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:33 PM

they have a "google group"...my membership is currently pending.

#6 chemed

chemed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:01 PM

I posted on the google group for Infinite Campus yesterday...still no replies.

they must be stumped! :huh:

-chemed

#7 chemed

chemed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:01 PM

I got a reply from the district's tech boss...here it is:

"There is a conflict with Infinite Campus and Vista which creates problems in the gradebook. Infinite Campus is working on it. I will let you know when they notify me of the fix."

This really makes no sense. Primarily, because there are some Vista users that have no problems with the gradebook function. I've tried to change versions of JAVA and Firefox, to no avail. Well, Firefox updates itself.

I did get a reply from the Google Group for IC. Guy told me to add Infinite Campus URL to "trusted sites" in IE 7. Obviously, I had already done that, so it didn't help at all! :huh:

I am thoroughly stumped

-chemed

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:36 PM

In other words, they do not know what is causing the issue because it seems to be hit or miss. And since Windows is mostly closed source, that is going to make it even more difficult for them to figure out the problem.

#9 chemed

chemed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

yep...

thanks for the help though, its nice to have someone to talk to other than local techs

you can close the issue.

-chemed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users