Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Computer Fried :(

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ketaen

ketaen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

My computer is going nuts.

It’s completely crashed…
I try to load it up using the Windows XP cd(to format it), it ALMOST gets to the point where I can format it and then it dies – goes into a blue screen: “STOP: c0000221” then says something about windows/system32 ntdll.

I can’t access dos mode – f8 works, but it’ll freeze up if I try to access command prompt.

I can’t access windows either – to get in my very corrupted version of windows it just loads up and then quits.

My computer is custom built, has worked fine – I came across a ton of virus’, Trojan horses, and other crap and it shut off. Now it’s completely dead… so… should I get a new hard drive? This is the most wicked little system malfunction ever.

p.s I do not have a floppy drive.

Thanks everybody :thumbsup:

merry Christmas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:45 PM

This error is usually caused by driver problems, system file problems, disk corruption problems (such as a damaged pagefile), or faulty memory hardware.

In your situation, the first thing I would try is to test the memory using memtest86.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:56 AM

FWIW - both malware and malfunctioning AV programs can cause errors like this. The actual error is caused when the critical system file (necessary to load Windows) is corrupted/unreadable.

Try these steps:
- Chkdsk /f /r (for file system issues),
- a hard drive diagnostic from the manufacturer of the drive (for physical disk problems),
- Memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com/ (for physical memory problems),
- resetting your pagefile (for memory system issues)

Use this technique to "reset" your pagefile:
a ) Go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
-Then click on the Advanced tab,
-then on the Performance Settings Button,
-then on the next Advanced tab,
-then on the Virtual Memory Change button.
b ) In this window, note down the current settings for your pagefile (so you can restore them later on).
-Then click on the "No paging file" radio button, and
- then on the "Set" button. Be sure, if you have multiple hard drives, that you ensure that the paging file is set to 0 on all of them.
-Click OK to exit the dialogs.
c ) Reboot (this will remove the pagefile from your system)
d ) Then go back in following the directions in step a) and re-enter the settings that you wrote down in step cool.gif. Follow the steps all the way through (and including) the reboot.
e ) Once you've rebooted this second time, go back in and check to make sure that the settings are as they're supposed to be.

- or you may try replacing that "ntdll" file with one that's known to be good.

These steps will help to rule out those problems - leaving you with either a Windows corruption (either unintentional or malware related), a driver issue, or malfunctioning hardware (that we haven't tested yet).

The fix for a Windows corruption is either SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog, a repair install of Windows ( http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm ), or a full format and reinstall of Windows (since this is a custom build, you'll have to make sure that you've got your drivers downloaded and ready also). Don't forget that you may want to backup your data before the format and reinstall option - otherwise it'll be gone for good!

Removing viruses outside of Windows is a real PITA. You'd have to slave the drive to another system and perform multiple scans there - or you'd have to use a boot disk to run multiple tools - and this won't usually clean the registry - so you may be left with some of the viruses on the system.

Drivers, in this case, are a hit or miss thing. You'd have to get into Windows to load new one's anyway (even Safe Mode would do). More info about the BSOD would be helpful (such as a dump file). More info on that here (would have to be adapted since the post was written for use within Windows): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491

Troubleshooting the other hardware usually is done within Windows (with a free tool such as this one: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264 ). But quite often it won't show problems (because it can't be aware of every possible hardware item and combination items available on the market). You're then left with stripping the system down and testing the pieces one-by-one ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/ )

There's quite a lot to do here - but just take it one step at a time and you should be able to pin the problem down (FWIW - I suspect that this is a corruption with Windows as a result of the viruses) If it were my system, I'd bite the bullet and reformat and reinstall Windows AFTER trying the steps up through the 2nd paragraph of this post. But don't forget to backup your data!

Edited by usasma, 11 December 2007 - 08:13 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users