Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Ram And Cd Rom Not Recognized Anymore

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 irebeer

irebeer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:13 PM

I have somehow lost the use of both my cd and dvd drives. The other day I lost the dvd ram and today the cd rom is gone too. I have opened the computer and disconnected them both, booted it, shut it down and reconnected them and rebooted...still nothing. i have no idea where to even begin. any help or insight will be greatly appreciated. ty.

Joe[topic="dvd ram, cd rom"]irebeer dvd ram[/topic]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

Look in Device Manager and expand all of the (+'s ) and look for yellow exclamation points by either drive. Here's a little application that might help
http://www.geekstogo.com/
You might try resetting the upper and lower filter keys described in this thread
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 irebeer

irebeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:43 PM

ok, i did the regedit and got them going again, BUT, when I put a dvd in and run windows player it gives a message that says it can't play the dvd because of digital copy protection between the player. drive and video card. I downloaded the latest software for the card and got same message. But I can play the video with other software...???? where do i go to get the windows player correct again? thanks.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:54 PM

For that you can thank Region Code Enhancement. You will have to go to the mfg. of your player and see if you can change it. Some allow you to do it 1 or 2 times
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

could be the ide ports failing and not all the data is getting to and from the drives.

#6 irebeer

irebeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:17 AM

I looke d at changing that but what do i change it to? i can do it 4 times it says.....ty

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

Don't go changing your region code for your drives if you don't know what you are doing, you wouldn't ask if you did.

I am not sure that's even the problem, if it was then you must have never set yours to start with. Drives store that info in firmware and don't forget. What is your drive, exactly and what movie playing software do you have installed?
Only certain ones come with the codec needed to play movie dvd's. Power dvd, win dvd, etc, but not windows media player.

Edited by DaChew, 11 December 2007 - 08:03 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 irebeer

irebeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:34 AM

I have a Matbleepa DVD RAM SW 9585. I might add that I never had an issue before this fiasco too...all worked (windows media player included) well but suddenly went amok..

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:35 AM

all it takes is a cruddy program like sonic/itunes or something like dvd43 to get more corrupt and then it's like you have installed a virus, usually these programs may work initially until the wrong mix happens and then all heck breaks loose.

once you install a commercial movie dvd player software, it installs the decryption file and all other software can use it
for css movie dvd's

matsh1ta is a bad one for not having region free options with firmware

is your region set for the dvd burner?

does it match the region you live in?
Chewy

#10 irebeer

irebeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:40 AM

yes the region is 1 and it is set to that. ..... now bear in mind that my other program works ok and it plays through the same DVD RAM....and the windows player works with stuff people send me but it won't play a dvd if I put it in my DVD RAM, (same dvd ram). should I delete windows player and reinstall it? or am I chasing my tail?? thanks.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:12 PM

what other software media players do you have?

try media player classic and see if it plays those problem dvd's
Chewy

#12 irebeer

irebeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:08 PM

any of the others work ok in all aspects, it is just windows media player when i try dvds. you think if i delete it and reload it it may work??? ty

#13 irebeer

irebeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:08 AM

any ideas? what or where should I go now? thanks....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users