Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Installing Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Relik

Relik

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:10 PM

So I am about to reformat my computer, and I have encountered a problem I never have before.

As I put the disk in to install windows, and it boots up and loads the files, as soon as it says About to load windows I get a blue screen and it reads this error:

Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF76440BF, 0xF7A90208, 0xF7A8FF08)

pci.sys - address F76440BF base at F763D000, datestamp 3b7d8557.

It tells me to make sure the HD has adequate space (which I formatted the HD from another computer), it tells me to make sure my video card adapters are correct settings (took out my PCIE video card and is now plugged into the onboard Video, and also set in the BIOS to onboard.)

I am running out of ideas what the problem could be?

Could it be a bad Windows Disk (Thought to be unlikely, because I've used this disk many times before.)

I keep trying to install windows, and thats when the BSOD comes up.

It will start loading files, then it says "Loading Windows Setup", then the BSOD comes up.

Thanks for any help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

Hi, the error may point to a memory error http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms795746.aspx I would try to run memtest http://www.memtest.org/ or try to remove one of the ram sticks to see if that will work.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

Do you have access to a different Windows disk that you could try (maybe borrow one from a friend)? That would rule out a faulty or scratched CD being the problem. I would also probably run a diagnostic test on the hard drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Relik

Relik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:34 PM

Going to attempt new Windows CD asap.

Then will run memtest.

If both of those fail, will try new HD.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:46 PM

Don't buy a new hard drive...just check the one you currently have.

There are at least two ways to do this:

a. Run chkdsk in accordance with the following link: How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265 I suggest using the 2d method listed, running from My Computer.

b. Use the hard drive manufacturer disk diagnostic tools, available for download at the respective hard drive manufacturers websites.

http://support.mpccorp.com/diagnostics/hard_drive.html

Louis

#6 Relik

Relik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:53 AM

Problem Solved :

It had to do with SP2. Since the motherboard I have had PCI-E it needed a windows disk with SP2 already on it. I was using an older disk of Professional that had SP1 on it. Used an SP2 disk, and the error did not show up.

Thanks for all that helped, and hope I help anyone else that has problems. :D

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:57 AM

Hmmm...seems to me that any version of XP should have installed, I don't see the connection between PCI-E, your motherboard, and installing XP. The only things that should matter are hard drive, memory, and the O/S CD.

If you were rurnning sfc /scannow or doing a repair install...I might buy the need/desire for SP2...but not for a clean install.

But life is consistently strange and kudos to you for getting it done, happy computing!

Louis

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

It may have been that the support for that particular PCIe slot implementation wasn't fully mature when SP1 came out - and with SP2 it had matured sufficiently to let it work. Sorta like SATA drivers in XP versus those in Vista - it's much easier to use SATA in Vista than it was in XP.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:22 PM

Thanks, John :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users