Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Operating System

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dahoe

Dahoe

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 23 February 2005 - 07:17 AM

Hey there,
i've a feeling i'm in a fair bit o' trouble here so any help or ideas are welcome....

I left my pc defragging last night only to come back to it later and found it had restarted with the words "Mising Operating System". It scans for boot record from the floppy then IDE 0 and says "OK", then it comes up with the "Missing Operating System" line.

My Drive is all 1 partition by the way, laziness stopped me from getting around to changing that.

Has anyone else been in this situaion and got it sorted out???

Please help me!!!!

By the way i'm using Win 2000 Pro and don't have an emergency repair disk....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:20 AM

If your luky...putting restore disk in....close it and starting comp will get that to boot to re-install. open your case and see if anything is still melting. Wait for someone who knows more than me to really do anything though. sounds like your comp is really jacked up :thumbsup: :flowers: -joe

#3 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:52 PM

The pc is fine just the hard drive that's crashed.....don't have a restore disk either.

#4 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 23 February 2005 - 01:17 PM

Get a windows 98 Boot Disk boot with it and at the A Prompt type: fdisk /MBR
try this Let us know any errors / prgress that has happened

#5 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 01:30 PM

Now it's coming up "Missing NTLDR".

#6 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 01:49 PM

Err I forgot about that My mistake

There is 1 of many ways this could be happening did you remove the Floppy Disk from the drive when you booted it up?

If so Try this Insert the Floppy again and at the A Prompt again type sys c: press enter

you should get a System Transfered message remove floppy again and reboot
Again let us know any Error's / Progress that has happened!

BTW That is a Semi good Sign.

Edited by LoLucky, 23 February 2005 - 01:51 PM.

#7 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 02:48 PM

Just got an "Invalid Function" message when i typed in sys c: and everything was the same when i re-booted(just in case)....

#8 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:50 AM

Have tryed copying Ntldr and Ntdetect from the Win2000 disc to the c drive but this made no difference, am beginning to consider a clean install.....

Any other ideas out there???

#9 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:34 AM

You have the 2K CD?

I must have misread your post my mistake. (again)

Insert the CD Boot with the CD start the "Setup" Press "R" to Repair a Windows 2000 Installation. then Press “C” to repair a Windows 2000 Installation using the Recovery Console. Next screen will list and ask you which installation you would like to login to. Then it ask you for the Administrator Password. Now you’ll be a Prompt C:\Winnt> type “fixboot” after this type “fixmbr” now type “exit” and reboot. this should fix the problem and if not I have one more idea.
Again let us know any Error's / Progress that has happened!

P.S. You tried copying the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM this is part of my next Idea how did you go about doing it?

#10 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:45 AM

Cheers for all the ideas by the way...

Have been in Recovery Console and tryed Fixboot & Fixmbr but no joy, then, still in Recovery console i tryed to copy Ntldr & Ntdetect, still no joy, then booted up with 98 floppy disc and tryed to copy across Ntldr & Ntdetect again but still no luck...

At this stage i've installed Win2000 on a spare drive so will probably recover the fiiles onto the new disc this evening but i'm still gonna tinker around with the crashed drive to see if i can get it up and running again so any suggestions are still much appreciated...

I'm not ready to give in just yet....

#11 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:52 AM

When in Recovery Console did you by chance do a Directory Listing to see if you can see the contents in your C Drive (You will only be able to be in Root Directory)

Edit: LoLucky not useing Brain you would have to have an Installation to get into Recovery Console

NOTE: Have you check the Contents of you Boot.ini file? that could be what is corrupt!

Join The Chat! Maybe we can Discuss this without waiting on the other to respond.

Edited by LoLucky, 24 February 2005 - 11:54 AM.

#12 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:02 PM

Am gonna recover all the files i want off the drive 2nite first then i'll check out the boot.ini theory in the morning but with Ntldr missing don't ya need it to read boot.ini in the first place???

#13 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:16 PM

i think you can have a Boot.ini running from a Floppy if you have a copy of NTLDR and NTDETECT.com on that floppy (don't Quote me on it, I just read someone but have never tried it out)

Join The Chat! Maybe we can Discuss this without waiting on the other to respond

Edited by LoLucky, 24 February 2005 - 12:17 PM.

#14 Dahoe

Dahoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:41 PM

Am just finishing work now so won't be back online 'till the morning...it's 17:40 in Ireland now....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users