Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes Intermittently

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Captaintripps

Captaintripps

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hi,

I've got an issue on my hands that I need help with. My computer freezes on me. Sometimes it freezes a lot, sometimes it will go a week or more and it won't freeze. I found this out when I was trying to burn a cd. As soon as I attempted it, the mouse just stopped moving and the computer wouldn't resond at all. I had to turn it off, then back on to fix it. Then, it would happen more frequently. Several times a day, became not being able to get it to load windows even. I would turn on the computer and it would just sit at a black screen til I kept turning it on and off. Its pretty odd, but when I could get on, I would run many scans, and it seemed to help the computer for some reason. Even though it is not related to malware.
I recieved help in the hijackthis section of this forum and it was determined not to have anything to do with Malware. We ran combofix, scans..etc. Nothing was found.

Right now, my computer is doing pretty good. It hasn't gone off on me in a week. But thats what I thought before too, until I couldn't even get my computer to go on the internet before it would freeze and at that point I thought it was a goner. I would really like to get a hold on this issue before it just completely dies out on me again. I am really worried about losing my pictures. I've got a lot on here and I can't burn them onto cds because of this problem. I have Windows XP, internet explorer, new disk drives,sp2. Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the freezes.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all three categories (Application, Security, and System).

If you find an error that occurred at the time of a freeze right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:08 PM

Look in the Event Viewer for the time period when you had the problem and see what it says
http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Captaintripps

Captaintripps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:23 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses! I do not remember any specific dates except one that the computer froze so I tried burning a cd again to get the error. I tried it at 4:45 pm and it froze and I do not see an error there. I looked on a day(under system) that I am certain it gave me lots of trouble and see only one error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7016
Date: 11/25/2007
Time: 10:59:28 PM
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-CUNISLX4DF
Description:
The SmartLinkService service has reported an invalid current state 0.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I found this one under application, same date and time:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1517
Date: 11/25/2007
Time: 10:38:29 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: YOUR-CUNISLX4DF
Description:
Windows saved user YOUR-CUNISLX4DF\Justin registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:52 AM

Try testing your RAM using memtest86.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users