Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Catch 22

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fantazos

fantazos

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:05 PM

When I press help&support I get an infuriating information:
"Help and Support
Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not running.To fix the problem start the service named "Help and support"
I checked all programs and made sure that they are all running , but it did not fix my problem.My "msconfig" also does not open and I suspect that these symptoms are possibly connected. Any experienced advice,please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:17 PM

WARNING:
This is a registry edit.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry, before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry
(I highly recommend, you make a copy of this article.)

Try this:
kellys-korner
Restore Help and Support Service - #235, on the Left
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:02 PM

Did you verify whether or not the "Help and Support Service" has started and is running?

I'd start in the Services and Applications node of the Computer Management Console to see if the Service has been either disabled or set to manual and is not starting when you boot. You can check the Services and Applications node by doing the following:

| Start >> right-click My Computer >> Manage >> click to expand the Services and Applications node >> click to highlight Services |

Once you have selected the Services node, you check on the right-hand pane for the "Help and Support" service. The Status column will tell you whether the Service is started, if it is blank, it is stopped or disabled. The Startup Type column will indicate whether or not the Service itself is set to Disabled / Automatic / Manual. To change the Status and Startup Type, you will want to right-click the Service and choose Properties to access the Help and Support Properties applet. The first tab displayed is the General tab which has the options to change the Startup type via pull-down menu and Service Status via radio button.

I'd check there to see if you can't kickstart the service manually and if necessary, change the way that the Service behaves at startup.

If that doesn't help, a registry edit may be in order.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#4 fantazos

fantazos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:48 PM

I so much wish I could report success guided by your kind advice.... It's not working. I guess I have to look for one of those registry Cleaning programs on the Net. Somehow it got into my mind that whenever there is a problem with registry a program could compare a virginal registry to the corrupt one and make enough changes to eliminate the corrupted entries.replacing them with perfect ones.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:04 PM

I so much wish I could report success guided by your kind advice.... It's not working. I guess I have to look for one of those registry Cleaning programs on the Net. Somehow it got into my mind that whenever there is a problem with registry a program could compare a virginal registry to the corrupt one and make enough changes to eliminate the corrupted entries.replacing them with perfect ones.

Honestly. you'll only make it worse using a registry cleaner. First, let's verify. Both Help and Support, plus MSCONFIG will not open, correct? They are most likely related by either malware or whatever. Have you been turning things off using MSCONFIG? Are you able to get in safemode? Also look in Event Viewer and see if there is anything showing for the time period of your problem.
http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 fantazos

fantazos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:47 AM

I tried to study the cryptic info. in the Event Viewer but it was quickly obvious it is design to turn brain cells into a bleeding sludge. I ended reinstalling Windows . It restored perfect health to my whole system in 40 minutes, including the Help&Support program.

#7 ratherbehunt'n

ratherbehunt'n

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:30 PM

Hi from NC, and , Merry Christmas !!

I'm having similar problems with the same error messages.

in researching the cause, I found out that the "Data Execution Prevention" program
which is part of SP2 security, may be causing the problem.

if you go into > Start - Settings - Control Panel - System - Advanced - "Visual..." Settings - DEP,

you will see what I'm talking about.

I am still researching the answer, but, as mentioned in a previous comment, it may require a
registry edit.

Good luck !

#8 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:03 PM

Here are some links from Ramesh's Site (guy knows XP like you know your own [insert your own simile here]) which may resolve your issues with the Help and Support center:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpctr.htm

It is a link to the other links on Ramesh's site which aid in troubleshooting Help and Support Center problems.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#9 fantazos

fantazos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:15 PM

Thanks,I will use that link in Troubles-To-Come just waiting to appear. Meanwhile I resolved the problem by reinstalling Windows,without losing anything and restoring Help&Support as the healthy, fresh Windows got rid of bug-infested predecessor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users