Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer (intel Build)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry_03

Jerry_03

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:18 AM

Well its finally time that I upgrade my comp. my budget is about $900 (which includes the parts i already purchased and my estimated shipping fees). this is gonna be a budget gaming rig. ive done all of my homework and heres what im looking at:

*Edited because of purchased PNY 8800gt, removed DVI cable as the vid card comes w/ one and OCZ StealthXStream 600W as PSU considering

-Case: Cool Master Centurion 5 *Already purchased, grabbed it at my local CompUSA because if i ordered it though newegg i would of paid about $60 shipping (im in Hawaii). plus there was a $30 MIR.

-Mobo: ASUS P5N-E nForce 650i SLI
Alternative Mobo #1: GIGABYTE GA-N650SLI-DS4 nForce 650i
Alternative Mobo #2: MSI P6N SLI Platinum nForce 650i SLI

-CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz
Alternative CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz

-RAM: OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 *Already purchased from Newegg, grabbed it early because there was a $40 MIR.

-Video Card: PNY VCG88512GXPB G92 GeForce 8800GT 512MB *Already purhcased (Comes with DVI to VGA adapter)

-PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 600W

-HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB

you can view my newegg wishlist here (which are basically the same items i have listed above).

im resuing my Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19' LCD Monitor, 2x PATA DVD+RW drives, 1x WD 500gb PATA HDD, 1x Floppy Drive, Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 SE sound card and Keyboard+Mouse.

My main reason for posting this thread is because im a first time builder and i just want to make sure all i have listed is compatible. i plan on ordering this either the week before, week of or week after christmas, depending on when i have all the money.

all the mobos listed are nForce 650i SLI chipsets, im undecided on what brand i want, either the gigabyte one or the MSI one, even though the asus one is cheaper. and im getting either of those mainly because these are the only few on newegg that have 2x PATA connectors (which i need cause as i mentioned above im reusing my old PATA DVD drivers and PATA HDD).

does anyone know if there is any real difference between the core 2 duo E6550 and the E6750 besides the higher frequencies? im leaning toward the E6750 cause it does have about 300mhz more than the E6550 but i dont know if its worth $20 more...

im unsure about the PSU, but antec is a reputable brand and im pretty sure 500W is enough for this setup. i did use this psu calculator, but im still paranoid that i might need a beefer PSU. im leaning toward the earthwatts 500W but as stated above i might get the truepower trio at compusa this week.

i might get a VGA cooler for the 8800gt as some reviews says it can run hot (any suggestions for a cooler thats compatible with the 8800gt?). however i also read a simple fix to this is tune up the stock fan's rpm using rivatuner.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Jerry_03, 11 December 2007 - 02:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:41 AM

Im was debating between the same processors but yea i think the E6750 is faster and in my opinion worth the $20

here is a comparason of the processors

Processor comparason

Edited by Lucky23, 11 December 2007 - 12:42 AM.

Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#3 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:35 AM

thanks for the reply. i have decided to go with the e6750. also i just ordered this 8800gt from newegg. i decided to get it because i havent seen the 8800gt in stock at newegg for that price since thanksgiving. it doesnt come with company of heroes, but i aint complaining :thumbsup:

#4 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:49 AM

decided to go with a p35 mobo and use a ide controller instead. and go with a ocz 600w psu

#5 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:36 PM

i got crysis yesterday since i had $50 of gamestop store credit to spend.

and as i said above ive decided with a p35 mobo so i just ordered the Gigabyte DS3L since i saw it in stock. i also grabbed the E6750.

so all i have left to order is the PSU, HDD and SATA to IDE bridge thingy. however i might just get a SATA DVD drive, it would only be $15 more than the IDE bridge. hopefully ill have the rest of the money by next week.

#6 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:21 PM

ive been thinking about getting one of those fancy raptor hard drives. do you think it would be worth it in terms of performance in games (shortening loading times)?

i would only be able to fit in the 74gig one into my budget

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136067

#7 4ward_tristan

4ward_tristan

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:16 PM

hhmm.... $/gb...not overly. just get a regulation SATA2 drive and u will be sweet as
=)

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 02:08 AM

That seems like a fairly powerful and good machine your going to build, with that kind of graphics card you would be able to play tomorows games! Also, I think that this computer will last you and I woudl say that it will have extremely good performance, wish I could have soemthing like this! You have done good! :thumbsup:

#9 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:09 AM

i ordered the rest of the components earlier this week, now im just waiting for it to get here :thumbsup:

heres the final wishlist on newegg, its more updated than the one in my original post

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishli...tNumber=9266187

i went a little over my proposed $900 budget but thats okay cause i got a little extra money for christmas.

i went ahead and got the raptor anyways because after a bit of research, it does load faster into some games by a substantial margin, i just hope i dont regret it. also i went with the ocz gamexstream 600w psu instead of the stealthxstream cause it had more SATA connections.

#10 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:16 AM

my 8800GT arrived 2 days early :thumbsup: first time ive seen it in person and wow, it is huge. but im confident it will fit in my case. all im waiting for now is the PSU, DVD drives and HDDs.

and while we're on the topic of the 8800GT i think i am gonna get an aftermarket cooler for it. ive got my eye on the Zalman VF900. i would rather get a VF1000 but newegg doesnt have em yet. i might order the VF900 later next week when i order my headset (old one broke)

Edited by Jerry_03, 01 January 2008 - 07:17 AM.

#11 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:39 AM

ive decided to go with the ARCTIC COOLING Accelero S1 with the Turbo Module instead of the zalman vf900. after researching i foundout that the S1 passively is up to 30 degrees cooler than stock fan (under load). with the turbo module its even better.

however the S1 with the turbo module takes up 2 more slots. it aint a real problem for me because on my mobo right below the VGA slot is 2 pci-e slots that i wont be using anyways (if i ever do need a pci-e slot theres still one more above the VGA slot). another problem the S1 might pose is its huge, its 140mm tall but im pretty confident it will fit in my case.

i also grabbed some zalman VRAM heatsinks just in case the S1 doesnt come with enough. also after reading some reviews the thermal pads that come with the S1 arnt very good so i got some arctic silver adhesive.

and a question is it safe to use Arctic silver 5 on your GPU? i read that the small amount of silver in the AS5 can cause some problems if it drops on your PCB. i would of gotten the arctic cooling MX-2 if i knew about that before ordering.

#12 Jerry_03

Jerry_03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

Well i finally put together my computer yesterday and it runs great. i went from running BF2 on all low settings barely getting above 25fps to running it on all high with an average of 55 -60fps. and HL2 i was getting around 20fps on all low now i run it on all high with no lag. :thumbsup:

as expected my 8800gt ran a little hot. it was running up to 75 degrees celsius at load with the fan at stock settings so i upped the fan to 80% now it about 60-65 degrees Celsius load. im still waiting on my aftermarket GPU cooler, i should receive it on Monday.

only problem with my system is my raptor 150gb HDD seem to be a DOA. i tried to install XP on it but it couldn't format the drive. after i loaded XP on my other 320gb SATA hard drive i tried reformatting the raptor using disk management. it successfully reformatted and added on a partition on the drive but whenever i install programs on it they dont load/crash. im gonna be RMAing it newegg. overall im very happy with my rig. :huh:

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

Congratulations on your First build :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +