Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More Problems After Installing Power Supply. Should I Quit?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:08 AM

i started a post december 8 entitled "installing my first power supply". i got it in and connected everything. i pushed the button and it came on. the emachines logo came on and a couple more screens came and went (so fast that i don't remember), then a windows 2000 professional screen came on (athe case has a sticker "windows xp", so i was disappointed to see this) and then it stopped on a screen that said this:

*** STOP 0x0000007B (0xF501B84C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) inaccessible_boot_device.
if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps.
check for viruses on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption and restart your computer. refer to your "getting started" manual for more information on troubleshooting stop errors.

when i tried to boot into safe mode, hopefully to run chkdsk /f, it got to the third screen where it runs down a list of system32 files and stops abruptly and flashes up this screen again:

*** STOP 0x0000007B (0xF501B84C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) inaccessible_boot_device.
if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps.
check for viruses on your computer. remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption and restart your computer. refer to your "getting started" manual for more information on troubleshooting stop errors.

at this point i figured the best thing to do, is to ask you computer repair guys if i shouldn't just "put this project on the back burner" or quit with this project entirely. what do you guys think? thanks, Ed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:56 PM

try getting into bios and checking to see what it shows for Hard Drive and Optical Drives. make sure nothing is in the optical drives and verify your boot order is Cd-hdd-floppy.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

Barring anything left in the drive's as RLI suggests I'm inclined to think that the hard driver is bad, considering the condition it was in when you got it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

i don't know how to get into bios. i pushed f2 repeatedly after i pushed the power button. just like before, there was the emachines logo and a couple of screens (one that had the progress bar that goes across), then this error message again.

am i pushing the correct button to get into bios? are there any other "possible" methods/buttons besides f2? i think the hard drive is defective, but, like you guys, i would like to be sure.
thanks for the replies, Ed

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:46 PM

Pertinent info: http://www.harddiskrecovery.net/inaccessib...oot-device.html and http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Causes-Inac...?&id=444601

Louis

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

am i pushing the correct button to get into bios? are there any other "possible" methods/buttons besides f2? i think the hard drive is defective, but, like you guys, i would like to be sure.

It could be the delete key
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:23 PM

I think they use F10

#8 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:46 PM

i tried to get into the bios by delete and f10. also tried unplugging and replugging the connections between the hard drive and the motherboard (both of them) and now the computer won't get past the emachines logo screen. i don't mind listening to and trying other ideas, but i think it's inevitably a defective hard drive. i have a spare hard drive that is kind of "cheapo" meaning it's not loaded with memory, plus i don't know about the condition of it. would it do any harm to try this other hard drive? i also have a windows 98 but it had a video display problem. could i try the hard drive out of that? as long as i know i'm not doing damage, i don't mind trying different things.

#9 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:03 AM

try unplugging the HDD and try to boot. it should then give you the option to enter the bios, make note of the key to use.

#10 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:50 PM

i disconnected the ribbon cable at the hard drive and pressed the button and the screen that appeared said this:

diskette drive a: 1.44m,3.5in. display type:ega/vga pri. master disk: none serial port(s): 3f8 pri. slave disk: none parallel port(s): 378 secondary master disk: cd-rw,pio4 ddrsd ram at bank: 0 secondary slave disk: none

pci device listing bus number device number function number vendor/device class device class irq

0 8 0 14f1 2f00 0780 simple cntr 11

0 14 0 10ec 8139 0200 network cntrlr 5
0 17 1 1106 0571 0101 ide cntrlr 14
0 17 2 1106 3038 0c03 serial bus cntrlr 3
0 17 3 1106 3038 0c03 serial bus cntrlr 3
0 17 5 1106 3059 0401 multi media device 5
1 0 0 5333 8d04 0300 display cntrlr 11
acpi controller 9

verifying dmi pool data boot from cd disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter
_

does this mean that my hard drive is kapoot? what info can be gathered here? thanks, Ed

#11 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:25 PM

we are still determining that, it should have given you an option to change settings.

is this a brand name pc?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:31 PM

To answer one of your questions...

Any hard drive, even a defective one...the worst thing that can happen is that it will prevent your system from booting...or prolong the booting process. A defective/dying hard drive is not like a virus.

So I would suggest trying any hard drive that you have on hand.

The key point to remember: XP does not recognize a hard drive until it has been formatted (NTFS is my suggestion) and partitioned. So don't be surprised if you connect a drive and it does not initially show up in My Computer/Explorer. All you have to do is go to Disk Management and format/partition that drive and it will immediately be reflected in XP (unless it's dead).

Louis

#13 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

the dash was flashing under this:

verifying dmi pool data boot from cd disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter
_

is that flashing dash a "cursor" in which to put in a command (like in a command prompt)? was there any "command" that i could have entered in reference to my last reply (post #10), that could have told about the condition of the other components, or how to enter bios? when i saw that last screen, i didn't know if i was supposed to type anything in, or push any button. i didn't know whether i could do any damage. i just came here and posted the results figuring you guys could tell me what to do next. is the screen that i saw in post #10 as far as i can go with that combination of equipment? does that screen say anything that benefits me?

i am in the process of obtaining the other hard drive. it's at my sister's. i just wanted to learn all i could about these parts while they are assembled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users