Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Error 80070005

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:33 PM

Hello,
When I run WindowsUpdate, I get the following:

- upon opening the page, a yellow exclamation mark in a triangle box...asks me to check for updates
- it looks for updates for about 3 seconds then tells me I have Error Code 80070005.

I've tried Googling only leading me to forums without a definitive answer. I also tried a MS Knowledgebase article about DCOM permissions or something and also tried re-registering some dll's as well as stopping & restarting BITS and WUAUSERV.

According to the windowsupdate.log file, this started yesterday.

I also attached today's windowsupdate.log file. Any ideas? :huh:

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:55 AM

:huh: anyone there?

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:14 AM

It may have to do with Windows Defender, your firewall, or do you have Spybot's TeaTimer installed? Something is not giving you permission to update.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:41 AM

Something is not giving you permission to update.

Yeah, I came to that conclusion too after googling the error. I don't have Teatimer enabled, so maybe it's my firewall. But everything worked last week and I didn't do any tweeks that I know of, I have no clue where to start. :huh:

Also, I downloaded a tool called Subinacl from Microsoft and also a script called reset_subinacl.cmd which was recommended. I'll try them tonight.

Also, does anyone know if the Windows Update Repair Tool works with Vista?
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Windo...ol/1123680932/1

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:58 PM

Hi, looks like it does work with Vista http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940520
MCP
MSDST

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:26 PM

Some fixes listed here (for the first failure in the log - error = 0x8024400D): http://www.wsuswiki.com/SOAPFault0x00012c

The second error code ( error code = 80072ee2 ) is generally associated with synchronization or proxy settings in a network connection.

The third error is basically the same as the second.

The fourth is basically the same as the first one.

The fifth one is a bit sketchy ( error code = 80248014 ), but some folks have mentioned that flushing the Software Distribution folder as a possible fix. You can use this cached Google page to try and fix it (it's for XP, so you may have to search around for Vista compatible versions): http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:OrR8_...lient=firefox-a

The sixth one is the original error that you mentioned ( error code = 0x80070005 ) which seems to be a catchall for "Access Denied" messages. The subinacl repair should take care of this - but here's a link that discusses it: http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon...de_80070005.htm

Seven is the same as 4 and 1

Eight is the same a 6 and your original - and it seems to repeat constantly until the log ends.

So, the "best" fixes are listed for errors 5 and 7 - with the page for error 1 being next on the list IMO.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:18 PM

For whatever reason or hunch I had, I tried an old, simple procedure....

1. Disable Windows Update
a. Click on start
b. Click on all programs
c. Click on accessories
d. Click on Run
e. Type services.msc and press ok
f. Right click on "Windows Update"
g. Click on stop (Windows Update is now disabled)
2. Rename Software Distribution folder
a. Navigate to: C:/Windows/
b. Find the folder named: ?SoftwareDistribution?
c. Rename that folder to something like ?SoftwareDistribution.old?
d. Create a new folder called ?SoftwareDistribution?
3. Enable Windows Update
a. Click on start
b. Click on all programs
c. Click on accessories
d. Click on Run
e. Type services.msc and press ok
f. Right click on windows update
g. Click on start
If you are unable to find Software Distribution Folder, follow these
steps before #2 above.
1. From the explorer window press the Alt key to view the file menu.
2. Click Tools
3. Select Folder Options
4. Select the View tab
5. Select ?Show hidden files and folders?
6. Remove the selection from ?Hide protected operating system files?
7. Click OK

Restart your PC and you should be good to go!

...and it WORKED!! :huh: I can now get my updates. :huh:

I don't know WHY this works, but it did. However, the Windows Update interface in Control Panel (remember, I'm using Vista) has lost the history of all my previous updates before this problem occurred. I'd like to restore that information from the SoftwareDistribution that I renamed to .OLD but I don't know where to get it. It's no big deal...just wondering if that's possible.

I've also tried to delete the newly created (automaticaly) SoftwareDistribution folder but I wasn't able to do it.

Now my question is:
- can I delete the SoftwareDistribution.old folder safely and just use the new one, or is there a way to put the save the contents of the .OLD folder into the new active one?

I'm still dumbfounded why a permissions issue was solved by recreating a folder....very weird.

#8 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:09 AM

Congratulations! :huh: I've been watching this thread to see how things would go for you, and I'm very glad to see you resolved your problem for the most part.

I can't really speak to any of the new questions you raise, but in case you can't find a way to restore your updates history, give Belarc Advisor a try. It's free, quick, and easy to run, and includes a complete list of all Windows updates installed on your computer.

Edited by Dialer, 12 December 2007 - 01:11 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:02 PM

I have a theory that the files in the Software Distribution folder may become corrupted - similar to the way there are problems with the Temporary Internet Files. And that corruption may take the form of permissions - I think it's something to do with the database rather than the files themselves. And, in effect, recreating the Software Distribution folders makes it start over fresh.

With that in mind, deleting the old folder shouldn't hurt - but I'd delete it to the Recycle Bin and leave it there for a while to see if you'll need it again (don't think so, just recommending it to be safe).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 icur

icur

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:28 PM

reCreating C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution worked. Thankyou to "Canadian" member. More on this later, but since the windows updates want to reboot, I better do that. lol.

#11 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

I've been having a similar issue, I'll see if your fix works after the holiday. I've been through all the MS support that I could manage not to feel disappointed by.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#12 Vista_blech

Vista_blech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Unbelievable how easy that was to fix. After 6 months of searching Google and Microsoft Knowledge Bases, I finally have Windows Update working again! Now to install all 37 critical updates I've missed! Thanks I_am_CanadianEh? your simple fix worked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users