Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Is Faster And Safer?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Richard ken

Richard ken

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:06 PM

Does anyone know which web browser is faster and safer? IS IT Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox or Opera?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:20 PM

Safer is a trick question. The more popular and used browser is going to be the bigger target. Faster can depend on how you use your browser. I have all 3. Right now I mainly use Opera, but there are times I use the others. There are other ones out there also. Check out our Freeware applications thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:01 AM

Faster..........?????

If.......You have dail-up........Firefox has an Add-On called Adblock Plus which eliminates virtually all advertisments.
Therefore, your pages will load more quickly as it won't take longer for the banner ad to load as the rest of your e-mail......
There is also an Add-On called Faster Fox/pipelining which speed it up a bit more.

Safer.....???

That really depends on you...... but Firefox has an Add-On called No-Script whereas you can customize what sites you want to allow..ect.....
ShowIP Add-On which shows the current IP address in the status bar alllowing quering custom services by IP and Hostname. You can also copy the IP addy to the clipboard.

I particularly like the option where there is a drop-down menu in the Google searchbox that may include Dogpile, Lycos, BBC News, Yahoo, MSN, Wikapedia, ESPN, Weather, MarketWatch, Amazon...ect.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=Add+ons

Lots of Luck deciding as you may be able to tell which is my preference.....lol

#4 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:36 AM

Thanks for the tip 1Bart for the adblocker now my firefox browser going faster an what does faster fox pipeline do? :trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers:

#5 1101doc

1101doc

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:08 AM

Wish you could see how quick my Opera is. A couple of configuration changes, Open DNS, the MVP Hosts file, and 'Above Normal' Priority. Smoking!

Edited by 1101doc, 10 December 2007 - 02:09 AM.

Neurons that fire together, wire together.
posted with Opera

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:23 AM

Faster Fox basically makes the changes, discussed in this topic:
Firefox Web Browser - Pipelining

Edited by tg1911, 10 December 2007 - 08:25 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:00 PM

Personally I have found Firefox the fastest, at least for my computer's configuration.
As for security, any browser other than IE is safer because it is not part of the Operating System itself.
There are two other important reasons for choosing an alternative browser:
1. While no browser (or any bit of code, for that matter) is completely free of security problems, both will offer patches much faster than does MS. I have seen exploits patched by the folks in Mozilla within just a few days instead of months.
2. Both Opera and Mozilla are constantly releasing enhancements to their browsers---often major improvements are released at least twice a year. MS, on the other hand, took several years before upgrading IE to version7, and then only because the competition was way ahead of them and they had to catch up fast.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:33 PM

Thanks tg1911...beat me to the punch AND...you probable found the link faster than I would have....TY

There a a million Add-Ons and you may go overboard..perhaps slow you down.

The Add-Ons can easily be deleted and Updated by going to Tools/Add-Ons/Update

"deskCut" creates desktop shortcuts from the context menu...Just another good one.

#9 Richard ken

Richard ken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

Hi again i have a question about Mozilla firefox Adblocker, Can the ad blocker block a site?

#10 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:47 PM

Adblock hides graphics on pages, can block them from ever loading, blocks JavaScript files, embedded frames (IFRAMEs), and Flash movies.

Firefox does not have built in website blocking features. Thanks to Extensions, you can add these yourself. Additionally, web filtering software is available which will filter the internet for any program on your computer.
Parental Controls.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users