Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing Old Installation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chad S

Chad S

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

I had a total crash that even changed some BIOS settings ie. enabling voice after post and changing date (by five years). There appears to be a missing or corrupted file. I have tried to boot up in SAFE mode and when it lists the files it't loading it just stops midway. When I attempt to repair the OS by using the installation disc it cannot see my hard drives. I have three Seagate SCSI drives and an Adaptec card. I thought the installation disc installed generic drivers. Help!
Thanks, Chad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:00 PM

changing date (by five years)

that's the first clue, your bios is 5 years old, so is your cmos battery, time for a new one

after getting that sorted you have to enter setup defaults, set the the time and make adjustments to the bios, ie boot priority etc

then you might even need a floppy disk with your controller drivers if the windows cd can't see the controller and drives
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:06 PM

If the time is reset the first thing to try is replacing the battery and then reseting the BIOS.

CR2032 battery at Radio Shack. About 5 bucks. Try that first
Especially if the system is more than five years old.
Thats about all the batteries last.

System specs would be helpful
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Chad S

Chad S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:40 PM

Thanks. Will get a battery and give a try.
Chad

#5 Chad S

Chad S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:44 PM

I don't why I never thought of a battery problem, duh. Installed new battery, pressed START and, voila, it worked perfectly. However, when I rebooted I got same hangups as before. After messing around with different things I went back to the same routine I used to install the battery; unplug power, removed SCSI card to get to the battery, removed the replaced the battery, replaced the card and power plug. Again, and currently, things are working fine. I haven't tried again to reboot the computer but will do.

BTW here's my system specs:

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 3200 Overclocked to 2.19 MHz
BIOS Phoenix-Award v6.00PG date 3/16/04
2 GIG memory
Windows XP PRO Version 2002 SP2
Adaptec SCSI 29320A - Ultra320
3 SCSI drives

Edited by Chad S, 10 December 2007 - 09:10 PM.

#6 Chad S

Chad S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:08 PM

I shut the computer down and cold-booted it and all's well. However, I still have a nagging problem. When I start the computer the mouse doesn't work. When I reboot it it works. It's a Logitech wireless using a USB hub. I'm wondering if the two boots, that is the first then the second are using different settings. Also, I must press the START button twice for it to power up. This seemed to start when I installed a new larger APC battery backup. Any thoughts?

Edited by Chad S, 10 December 2007 - 09:09 PM.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:46 PM

IIRC in the BIOS, if you have an option for Legacy USB, have it enableed
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Chad S

Chad S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:23 AM

Fired up old Betsy this morning and the mouse works on first try without making any changes. Don't know what the problem was but it's fine now. However, I still don't know why I have to press the START button twice for it to start. Like I said, it began to happen when I replaced my old battery backup with a large APC Back-UPS RS 1500. Not a major problem but just wonder why.

Edited by Chad S, 11 December 2007 - 10:25 AM.

#9 Chad S

Chad S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:10 PM

I spoke too soon. I shut the computer down and started it up again and it's back to the same problem, the mouse does not work on the first startup.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:57 PM

Another mouse, perhaps?

At least that would point the way to system or device.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users