Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Will Not Install

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:57 PM

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a message when my computer booted up:
Invalid boot.ini file. Booting from C Windows.
The pc then finished booting.
I've been attempting to do a repair install of XP.
However, when I put in the XP disk, things go downhill.
It gets past Checking your systems hardware configuration, then
to a blue screen with Windows Install at the top, and at the bottom where
I should see Press R for recovery console there is nothing.
There should be other options along with recovery console, but it has
been awhile since I've reinstalled Windows and forgot what other choices
I have. All I know is that I should be able to choose a repair or total re-install.
Since nothing is at the bottom of that screen, it all comes to a screeching halt.
There's nothing wrong with the XP disk.
Not being able to repair or re-install, I've just been letting it get past the
boot message, getting to my desktop, and doing what I need to be doing on the computer.

Today, a new wrinkle. It goes through the boot process. The windows logo with the boxes comes on the screen. At the point where I should see the user accounts, there is only a screen that says Windows XP, with the 4 colored Windows boxes above it.
User accounts do not come up at all. That silly screen just sits there.

I cannot boot into safe mode or any other mode.
There is no user account screen, no nothing.

Computer worked fine this morning, then all of a sudden it didn't.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on what the issue(s) may be, I would love to hear them. Right now we've got my daughters laptop connected, but I'd rather have my computer with the bigger moniter, and access to all my files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:04 PM

I'd run hardware tests first to ensure that the hard drive isn't starting to die. They're available for free from the manufacturer of your hard drive.

Then I'd try MemTest86 just to rule out the memory. It's free here: http://www.memtest86.com/

Also, do you have a boot disk that you can access the setup log files? If so, you may be able to figure out where it failed and work on correcting that problem. Here's a link to the locations of the setup log files: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Artic...40200.html?Ad=1

XP creates the following log files:

* setupact.log-This log file contains a list of actions in chronological order that occurred during the graphical installation phase, such as file copies and registry changes. The OS also stores setup error log entries in this file. XP writes the setupact.log file to the %systemroot% folder (e.g., c:\windows).
* setuperr.log-This log file contains a list of errors that occurred during installation and their severity (this log file should be 0 bytes in size if no errors occurred during installation). XP writes the setuperr.log file to the %systemroot% folder.
* comsetup.log-This log file contains installation information about Optional Component Manager and COM+ components. XP writes the comsetup.log file to the %systemroot% folder.
* setupapi.log-XP writes information to the setupapi.log file each time a .inf file executes, including any errors. XP writes the setupapi.log file to the %systemroot% folder.
* netsetup.log-This log file contains information about workgroup and domain membership. XP writes the netsetup.log file to the \%systemroot%\debug folder.
* setup.log-The Recovery Console (RC) uses the setup.log file to gain information about the Windows installation during repair operations. XP writes the setup.log file to the \%systemroot%\repair folder.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:14 PM

About the only additional thing I would check would be the BIOS/CMOS clock for accuracy of date/time. When those batteries start to slide, strange things happen to a system.

Louis

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

I've been all over BIOS today looking at settings. Mostly changing first boot device to CD.
The date and time are correct. The thought that it could be the Bios battery did occur to me, but I dismissed that as a cause. Might be time to replace-if it doesn't solve the problem, at least I'll have a new battery.
I won't be able to do much tonight or tomorrow but I will check the hard drive asap.
The thing is, I have 2 hard drives. XP wouldn't do anything on either of them.
I went as far as unhooking both drives, making my primary slave drive (which is set up for storage only) the primary master and the same thing occurred.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:52 PM

Thank you for your responses. After trying a lot of things, I gave up and took the computer to my tech. The verdict-motherboard has died. Replacing it is not an option, it would be difficult to find the exact same thing. My system was a custom build in 2002, it has reached the end of it's useful life. I'm going over all my options regarding a new one and will make a decision after the holidays.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:02 PM

Well...who said that you need the same motherboard?

Sounds like an oppportunity to "upgrade" cheaply, since motherboards of all types (which were not introduced recently) are readily available.

What motherboard do you currently have in there? What kind of RAM and how much? What kind of video (onboard, PCI, AGP, PCI-E, etc.)?

New systems are nice, but new motherboards often do the job that many of us want.

Louis

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:36 PM

It is official, the motherboard is dead.
Hamluis, the now-defunct mb is a Gigabyte something (can't recall the exact numbers, and my mb manual is awol right now). All I know is that it is impossible to find one-and another one won't work.
I don't recall what kind of RAM is in it-only that it isn't SDRAM or DDR. I wish I could tell you more but right now I can't.
This morning I took the pc to another tech, he also said the mb was shot (a second opinion thing).
When he hooked it up and turned it on the pc would not post.
Good news is I don't have to buy another one if I don't want to-my mom bought a computer a year ago and never used it for much, so I am the receipient of that computer. Yes, it is an off the shelf pc and I'm not a big fan of those, but I won't complain to much.
Free computer, can't argue with that.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:35 PM

FWIW: Well, the only RAM I can think of which is not DDR or SDRAM (and which isn't ancient) is RDRAM, http://www.rambus.com/us/products/rdram/

Again, FWIW: Any motherboard can be replaced, there is no such thing as a prorietary motherboard or a-one-of-a-kind motherboard. A given model/type may no longer be in production, but chances are a newer model can easily replace it with more current technology.

"Custom-built" is what anyone (like many of us) does when he/she decides what particular components go into the system. The opposite of "custom-built" is Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.

If you ever get the yen to do anything with that particular system, post more info here and someone will try to help. I find it nice to have at least 2 working systems at home, makes it easier to troubleshoot issues and eliminates frustration if/when things go wrong with one.

OTOH :flowers:, congrats on your new system, happy computing :thumbsup:!

Louis

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:06 AM

I suppose I could find a mb to work with the dead computer, but honestly I am ready for a new system. My custom built not a dell, dude gave me almost 5 1/2 years of good service. It was on that computer that I honed my skills-replacing hard drives, sound cards, video cards, and CMOS battery.
I got over my fear of re-installing Windows and of opening up the case to replace things and clean the dust out of it. LOL, I decided to buckle down and do it myself because basically I didn't want to spend money to have someone else do it. For now, the Compaq my mom gave me will have to do-and it is a good system. And did I mention it was FREE, at least to me?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:17 AM

May I express my condolences for the loss of your computer and wish a longer life for the next and better one coming your way, and it ain't a Dell dude! :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users