Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading Thumbnails- Ie6 -vs- Firefox..memory Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

When downloading the identical thumbnail from the identical e-mail attachment I get dramatically different results....memory usage-wise.

IE6 produces a Bitmap file of 7.59Mb with a file name consistently named "untitled" which opens up with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Firefox produces a Jpeg file of 228Kb with a varying file name...for different files.....and opens with Abobe Photoshop Albumn Starter Edition 3.0

Wondering how/why this happens and is anyone else "afflicted" with such results?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:06 AM

Images saving as bitmap, in IE, can happen if either of the following conditions is true:

Your Temporary Internet pages cache is full.
You have "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" selected in Tools, Options, Advanced Tab and are loading the page over a secure connection (https).

Depending on the specific cause for your problem, try one of the following fixes:

Delete the temporary Internet files.
Open IE.
Click Tools.
Click Internet Options...
Click the General tab.
Click the Delete Files... button.
Put a checkmark next to Delete all offline content.
Click OK.

Click Tools.
Click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab.
Towards the bottom, under Security, remove the checkmark from the box, next to Do not save encrypted pages to disk.
Click Apply.
Click OK.
Then click View.
Select Refresh.

As far as what program opens the images, after you've done the above, go to the program you want to use as your default image editing program.
In the Options menu, associate the image file types that you want to open, with the program.
After that, whenever you double-click an image, it should open in the program you set as default.

It doesn't mean that's the only program you can open the file in.
If you need to open them in a program that's not set as default, open the program, click File / Open, and navigate to the file you want to open.
or,
You can right click the file, select Open With, and choose a program to open it with, from there.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

I BEG YOUR PARDON......

Kindly exchange the term "embedded image" for "thumbnail" in the question.......Sorry....
If that does not make a difference....or even if it does...I proceeded as such.

No go..............Even threw in a re-boot to ..boot.....Hmmmmm

1- I regularly use C cleaner..if that cleans the off line content. But I did the #1 procedure nonetheless. It took a full 30 seconds to stop cleaning.

2- That item was already unchecked.

I did not try to change the computer default.

When attempting to open a saved Bitmap file....

I did the right click/"open with" AND also the right click/properties/open with and a window entitled "Adobe Photoshop Starter Edition 3.0" opened and read "Photoshop cannot start or continue because of missing file(s). Please re-install."

All is back to the way it was. This is not a critical fix as I can switch between IE6 and Firefox.

So why not just stay with Firefox for such activity.......Because Firefox cannot "see" a regular thumbnail until you save it to the desktop and then open the file. Within the e-mail where the thumbnail pic would be....a small blue, green and pink square/diamond/triangle appear in the corner.

Perhaps the entire issue resides in the way the items a sent to me in the e-mail..... i. e. the format in which the sender attached the thumbnail....and perhaps using which program.

Edited by 1Bart, 10 December 2007 - 09:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users