Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pink Lines On Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mukluk

Mukluk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:12 PM

I need some advise/opinions.

I have a dell inspiron 6000 (XP), recently thin pink lines began to appear through all graphics. From what I have tested/checked I believe that I need a new video card, but I was wondering if there are any other options. Below are some important points to note.

1-I have used an external monitor....pink lines remain.

2-Laptop can run WITH NO PINK LINES in 32bit. 16 Bit has pinks lines.

3-Laptop can run resolution 1024x768 and lower with no pink lines.

4-There seem to be known "Pink line" problems with this and other dell laptops, but I do not think that the matters are related based on what I have tested. [post="Dell Blog"]http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/06/19/17774.aspx[/post]

5-Pink lines appear through every graphic.....even the DELL logo when the system starts up, before the software is loaded.

Any other ideas besides the vid card?

And any suggestions for a new vid card.......the one that is in there now has worked fine for what I do, but I would have to order it from the dell website and I don't want to wait that long. Right now it's an ATI 64 bit.

Thanks for any help-Mukluk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:37 PM

A laptop has a built-in video chip. There is no room for a replacable video card. I'd at least try reloading the driver
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Mukluk

Mukluk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:22 PM

I was afraid of that too, I have little knowledge of laptops. However, I have been told that this model has a PCI-E slot and thus can have a new vid card. If this is not correct please advise.

I plan on reinstalling the drivers...just haven't had the time yet.

Thanks for all of your help.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:57 PM

I believe you are confusing a PCI slot with a PCMCIA slot. a totally different animal
Example
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Mukluk

Mukluk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

I afraid I'm confused :thumbsup: [post="PCI-E"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express[/post]

Again...thanks for the help.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:46 PM

PCI, AGP, PCI-E (for Express) are full sized cards that plug into their specific type of slot
This is a PCI-E card
www.newegg.com

This is a PCMCIA card. In this example it's to add firewire and USB ports
www.newegg.com
I might also add the power supply requirement for PCI-E cards are a minimum of 450-500 Watts. You power adapter for the laptop would be as big as a shoebox. They also throw off a lot of heat. Something a laptop has a problem with already
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users