Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Constructive Criticism

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_screwworm_*

Guest_screwworm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:53 PM

I note that help on this site seems rather selective. If your name is nita, susie or mary the help is ample and the instructions simple. But, others, often get scarce help or no help. And, for us novices the advise is rather technical and hard to follow. I had tried to get advice to problem with my IE. But after 2 days I finally got lucky and stumbled across the solution myself.

Now, as I have posted several times, I still have numerous problems which a cleaner such as registry mechanic could fix, but every time I try to pay for that site to fix the problems it found, I get that "this page cannot be displayed" message.

Same with other sites when I seek to pay for a service.

Can any of you geniuses suggest a fix?

(yeh, I know Ive pissed you off, but ,then, the help received was all the same before this post)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 11:32 PM

Hi screwworm. I appreciate your feelings and I have no intention of pacifying you. All I can do is speak for myself here regarding your post.
I am a very passionate person about a variety of topics. Perhaps you've seen a post or two of mine. But my point is that I'm fairly knowledgeable in computers and particularly Win98/WinME. I currently use WinME and am one of those people who are tired of seeing it bashed and trashed. That's my opinion. Because of that, I do thorough checks on our Windows 95/98*Grinler thread section several times a day to see if there is anything I can relate to, assist with, or advise about. It does not matter to me if you are Susie or Joe. If I can help in any way, I do so.
I read each and every post in here but I only post if I can provide some input. Otherwise, I'll do my best to look for the answers.
I am truly sorry if you feel the service has been other than the best here. I want to change that here and now. For me personally, I'd like a second chance to try and help you (and everyone else) in any way I can. I will say though that if the problem is a bit too technical, I just might leave it for those wiser than myself. If I see no replies are made and no advice is offered, I will begin my research to do what I can. If that comes up empty, and that happens even if rarely, I cross my fingers and move on. But I can assure you that your posts are not ignored or placed on the back burner merely because you are Joe and not Susie. I hope you trust me on that. I read the posts, not the names.
Where we go from here is up to you. I'm extending a handshake and my personal apology. I'll try harder to assist more than I have. I am sure I'm not alone.
Thanks for your honesty. I do appreciate it.
~67~

#3 Guest_screwworm_*

Guest_screwworm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 03:46 AM

My post had nothing to do with my "feelings". It was based upon factual observation of no. of replies to some posts vs other posts. But I do not wish to rub this raw. Its just that, personally, I have sought help and none was forthcoming.

I did get my IE working(after several days) but as I've already stated I have many other problems to cure(according to scan by registry mechanic) on my computer but everytime I try to pay to use that cleaner, I get that page, "this page cannot be displayed". Do you have an answer? I would appreciate your help.

Anyway, my post was only meant as a "constructive" criticism....not for malice.

PS: this includes payment attempts at other sites as well.

#4 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:39 AM

screwworm,

Have you checked your security settings in Internet connections ? they may be set too high and IE is denying you access to that page - try lowering them and see what happens.

Hope this helps.

:thumbsup:
JTH

#5 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:10 PM

Jack and I are on the same wavelength here. The only thing I can think of that could prevent you from such pages would be security settings. Please check them and let us know if that was the problem. I'm not sure what other programs would prevent it as well but if your problem wasn't fixed, we'll look into other options. Do you know how long this has been going on?

~67~

#6 Guest_screwworm_*

Guest_screwworm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:46 AM

I did have the security settings on "default" but I went ahead and set them all to lowest settings. I reran registry mechanic and again tried to pay but once more I get that, "this page cannot be displayed". Any other ideas guys?

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:42 AM

It is possible your Host file is corrupt.
I operate winXP, the location in winXP is:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc.
and I'm almost positive it is in win98, also.

One thing you can do is restore the list to
basically the original installation.

If you have added to it, as in using Spybot S&D's host list,
then you'd want to re-install that list afterwards.

It shouldn't hurt.

Download
HostFix.

Extract
HostFix.
Open the zipped-folder and choose to extract to your desktop.
Click "Finish".
Then open the unzipped folder and double-click on the HostFix.exe file.
With the program open, click "YES". This will restore the Hosts file.

The other thing you could do is read this tutorial (click) and follow through with a posted log for us to study.
It's kinda risky offering advice when not knowing
what/if other factors are involved other than those mentioned.
Questions often bring up more questions
to the point where answers are few and far between, I've found.

The wrong advice, or that which doesn't help,
is usually promptly pointed out though.

Edited by phawgg, 24 February 2005 - 02:44 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users