Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New 250gb Sata Drive Not Fully Detected?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MyssoMan

MyssoMan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:34 AM

I recently installed a new WD Caviar 250GB SATA drive in my older Dell Dimension 4600 PC. My "Device Manager" recognizes the drive ok as does the BIOS, after turning on the SATA controller. "My Computer" does not show the drive and neither does "Disk Manager". I searched this forum but couldnt find anything particularly helpful and was wondering if anyone had any ideas? Windows recognized the drive and did install its drivers and "Device Manager" states "Thisdevice is working properly", WTF?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:59 AM

Well...did you install the SATA drivers?

I see that your specs indicate 1 SATA controller and 1 IDE/PATA controller...but did you load both when you installed the motherboard drivers?

How exactly did you "turn on" the SATA controller? Since the controller is native to the motherboard, I guess that I don't know what such actions would be. My SATA drives are automatically picked up in the BIOS when connected and reflected in XP when I initialize/format same (my drives come uninitialized/unformatted).

Is the drive formatted? XP will not reflect an unformatted drive in My Computer, but it should be reflected in Disk Management.

Louis

#3 MyssoMan

MyssoMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

Louis, thanx for the reply, I guess my missuse of terms is confusing. I had to enter the BIOS to turn the SATA function on my mobo, it was defaulted to "Off". If Windows XP Home recognized the HDD and reported the new hardware ready to use must I still load some other drivers?

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:46 PM

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...amp;p_topview=1

I couldn't figure out what sata controller dell used???????
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:47 PM

go into disk management and format the drive.

#6 MyssoMan

MyssoMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:28 PM

DaChew, thanx for post, great info. I installed the jumper as indicated and all is well at this point. The drive is recognized and she's formatting as I type. Thanx, all, for your help and interest!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:27 PM

Kudos, DaChew :thumbsup:, nice link.

I had seen jumper pins on SATA drives and wondered what they might be for, your link answers that, thanks.

Louis

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:45 PM

Yep, great link Chewy! Thanks!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:54 PM

Actually I have seen this a couple or three times before, but I think they were seagate sata 2 drives

Zimers

Hardest thing is finding the durn settings for the jumpers at the manufacturers page, why do they hide it so well?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users