Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen? Uh Oh!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joe_wa

joe_wa

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

I've got a blue screen upon startup on the home PC.
The note says the following:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable compnente, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000FE (0x00000004, 0xFFA367F8, 0XFF9B3EC0, 0X00000000)

Beginnning dump of physical memory

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Joe

Mod Edit: Note that this topic is for a different OS than OP's HJT Log~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 09 December 2007 - 03:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joe_wa

joe_wa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:11 PM

Ran the Dell Scan from the boot menu and found a ton of errors listed as "Block xxxxxxx Uncorrectable Data Error or Media is write protected."

Tried starting in Safe Mode, and just got a new blue screen. BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER

So it won't start in safe mde.

Thoughts?

#3 joe_wa

joe_wa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:33 PM

Went into startup options from the F2 function on restart. Changed the USB Device setting from enable to disable

On initial windows startup, getting a RUNDLL Error: Error loading fldrclnr.dll. Specified module could not be found.

#4 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:38 PM

You ran the Dell scan so you have a Dell computer. Could it be a Dimension?
If so look at the diagnostic lights on the back of the computer when you boot from a shutdown.
See if the lights resemable any combination here-
http://support2.jp.dell.com/docs/systems/d...t.htm#wp1054184
You may have a bad hard drive.
EDIT: Saw you posted more info. Can you now boot into Windows and then get that error?
Fldrclnr.dll is a process associated with Desktop Cleanup Wizard

Edited by CTH_Tom, 09 December 2007 - 04:42 PM.

X

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:49 PM

fldrclnr.dll is Microsoft's Desktop Cleanup Wizard.

It can be disabled via Display Properties/ Desktop/ Customize Desktop/ General Tab. Uncheck 'Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days', but if disabled by this route, it would not give this message.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

This STOP error is most commonly associated with corrupted USB drivers - although missing Service Packs can cause the error.

I'm wondering what the Dell was testing when it gave you the error "Block xxxxxxx Uncorrectable Data Error or Media is write protected." If this was your hard drive, then there's likely to be big problems. If it was a USB device - then corrupted drivers could explain the error.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 joe_wa

joe_wa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:22 PM

OK, I have cleaned the machine with CCleaner. Updated the McAfee program and scanned the system. I have attempted to update the drivers through the device manager, but no luck.

The computer only freezes up w/the Blue Screen when I try to Restart. When I shut down and start back up w/o using the Restart function, it does fine.

Thoughts?

BTW, I did removed the check mark on the Desktop Cleanup Wizard & it worked for the rundll error.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:03 AM

Try visiting the Dell support website ( http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...;l=en&s=gen ) and enter your Service Tag number to access the mobo/chipset drivers (that's where the USB drivers are). You can download the drivers and double click to launch the installation process.

I'd also suggest downloading a diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive - this will be a more reliable indicator of the status of your hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users