Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I Infected With Virus Or My Hardware Is Failing?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 afsiii

afsiii

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:32 AM

helo to all, here is my story... one day i found my pc acting wierd, sometimes my pointer dont want to move, cannot drag folders and frequent crashes. the worst thing is evrytime i boot my pc, the only thing i see is IN TOUCH WITH TOMOROW... TOSHIBA. after that a blank screen and a dim light on the monitor. the only chance to boot is by pressing the F12 and choose HDD to boot and still.... wierd behavior on my pc. I tried changing my ram with exactly the same brand and serials but nothing happens. the only thing that is good is when i put these two ram 2x512 mb, i got 1gb of ram and my pc is a little faster than before without chashes. I dont know wat to do, i tried to reformat it twice but still the same. can sombody help me. thanks in advance for all your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 afsiii

afsiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:36 AM

by the way my laptop is a toshiba satellite SL20-121 with 60gb of drive, a 1.86ghz speed processor and 1gb of ram, thanks again.

{Mod EDIT:Moving to hardware~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 09 December 2007 - 09:27 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

First question...How does one "try to reformat"? Exactly what did you do and what were the results/circumstances?

You do any maintenance on this system (run chkdsk, defrag)?

Do you have an MS XP CD...a recovery CD....a recovery partition...or what? If you wanted to reinstall the O/S, where would those files be found?

Since you mentioned malware...I think it's up to you to make sure that malware is not an issue, before doing anything else.

Is the system updated for all current critical updates post-SP2?

One of the things you need to learn is how to use Event Viewer to help confirm/refute potential problems:

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...hould_i_care.ht

Louis

#4 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

go to http://ultimatebootcd.com and burn the iso to a cd and boot with it, run the appropriate HDD manufacturers diagnostics on the HDD for a minimum of 4 hours and then run memtest86+ for a minimum of 6 hours. post the results.

#5 afsiii

afsiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

First question...How does one "try to reformat"? Exactly what did you do and what were the results/circumstances?

Do you have an MS XP CD...a recovery CD....a recovery partition...or what? If you wanted to reinstall the O/S, where would those files be found?

Since you mentioned malware...I think it's up to you to make sure that malware is not an issue, before doing anything else.

One of the things you need to learn is how to use Event Viewer to help confirm/refute potential problems:

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...hould_i_care.ht

Louis

I used the product recovery cd for toshiba, run chkdsk and i did only understand the 0 bad sectors. i do not know the recovery partition... sorry i am not familiar with the terms, i used my pc for chatting only and some web surfing. thanks for the concern, i will try to learn how to used the Event Viewer, i will post the result, thanks hamluis.

#6 afsiii

afsiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:08 PM

go to http://ultimatebootcd.com and burn the iso to a cd and boot with it, run the appropriate HDD manufacturers diagnostics on the HDD for a minimum of 4 hours and then run memtest86+ for a minimum of 6 hours. post the results.

Thanks RLI but the page for burn the iso is still under construction but i have downloaded the memtest86+. Can only memtest86+ will help? thanks again

#7 afsiii

afsiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:57 PM

Louis

chkdsk /v result - detected minor inconsistencies on the drive. this is not a corruption
cleaning up 435 unused index entries......
correcting errors in the volume bitmap
windows found problems with the file system
run chkdsk with the F option to correct these
0 bad sectors

i tried chkdsk /F and it prompt me to restart. ok, i will restart my pc and post the results

#8 afsiii

afsiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

run chkdsk /v again - cleaning up 1 unused index entries
windows found problems with the system

i will run chkdsk /F and post the results

i have noticed that when i do this restarting routine, i never had problems so far so good,
what do you think guyz is it getting better or still i have hardware problems.... or spyware, malware, virus whatever you may call it, is my machine infected?

#9 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:51 PM

the sites to download UBCD are up and ready for you to download it.

you have to click "download ubcd" and then scroll down and choose the appropriate link if you want to use P2P, Bittirrent, or direct download.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:45 PM

Rather than running chkdsk /f (which is fine), you might want to run chkdsk /r (which also includes the /f function in it). The chkdsk /r command does something that chkdsk /f will not do and which probably needs to be done.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users