Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Os 98 Upgraded To Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JR1955

JR1955

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:31 AM

I picked up this computer (el cheapo) to give to my sister as a starter to learn on,, its clean and works fairly well,,however microsoft tells me me the validation key is not valid,, so it was upgraded from another XP CD. It only has service P1 and i wanna up grade to service P2,,, will i still be able to up-grade? Also, i get (program not responding) alot when i wanna close out some windows i have open,,, any thoughts on that?
I dont know if this was a clean install but how can i find out if os98 is still there and can it be removed safetly ? or should i not even worry about it ? I dont see it under add/remove programs

Thanks,
JR

I'll prolly have more questions later on...lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Tony_Shelly

Tony_Shelly

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:41 AM

almost sounds like a Pirated CD Key, if you can't update on the www.microsoft.com

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:00 AM

Not sure I understand...do you have a valid key for the current XP install?

Assuming that you do...

To install SP2, you will have to download it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en Ignore the verbiage about network, more computers, etc., just download it to your system and then install it from there.

You probably also ought to take a look at Steps to take before installing Windows XP SP2 - http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/res...ows_xp_sp2.mspx I suggest looking at this before even downloading SP2.

Generally, it's better to do a clean install, rather than install over existing possible problems. If you have a valid MS XP upgrade CD, you can do a clean install of XP by following the suggestions at Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Doing a clean install will take care of any doubts about what is on the system and any lingering problems that are not related to hardware.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users