Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Microsoft .net Framework

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dar Bako_*

Guest_Dar Bako_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:10 AM

Hello all
Microsoft automatic updates keeps telling me to install update, Version 1.1 service pack 1 (KB 928366). It cant install itself. error code 0x80131700
I am on a single home pc, should I need this update?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

Hi Dar Bako

Service Packs and updates are normally to fix bug or security issues so should be installed. Have you tried using Internet Explorer/Tools/Windows Update, and installing it from there? (You can copy your error code and paste it into a search box on the MS site for info which may help if the manual install doesn't work). If you still have a problem, MS offers free phone help for update issues.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 Guest_Dar Bako_*

Guest_Dar Bako_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:47 PM

Hello rowal5555
Thank you for your reply, I have tried using windows update.I Just get the same problem.
I have contacted microsoft and waiting a reply.
Many thanks Dar bako.

#4 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

I am on a single home pc, should I need this update?

Hi Dar Bako,

While I don't know much about networking, I'm pretty sure this application supports the running of other applications. You might or might not actually need it.

I and others have had the same problem and had to do the download manually, rather than through the Windows Updates link. There's a thread somewhere around here about it. I'll find it and post back to you.

Edited by Dialer, 09 December 2007 - 06:56 PM.

#5 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

Well, I couldn't find the thread I was looking for or the one in another forum I sometimes visit. But I did find you these links at Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885055
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

If you know for sure that you don't need .NET framework, you can simply right-click on its name in Updates and select to hide it.

I'm a single user on a single computer, too, but I have all sorts of software installed. I do know of one program I use that requires .NET framework 3, so it stands to reason that I might also need ver. 1 for some of my older software. It seems that the newer versions might not necessarily incorporate all the features of the previous ones.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Dialer, 09 December 2007 - 07:33 PM.

#6 Guest_Dar Bako_*

Guest_Dar Bako_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:39 PM

Hello Dialer
Thank You for your Help :thumbsup:

#7 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:45 PM

You're very welcome. And, BTW, :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer!

Also, I found one of the threads I was looking for at the other forum. Be sure to read the whole thing before following any advice listed there.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums...ding&page=1

#8 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:57 PM

Just found the other thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/118855/vista-updates/

:thumbsup:

#9 Guest_Dar Bako_*

Guest_Dar Bako_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:16 PM

:flowers: Job done, Thanks Dialer, followed your link easy, why cant microsft be as much help as allyou guys and Ladys at At bc .
I am a life member.
Thank you all for your help :thumbsup:

#10 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:02 PM

Glad you got it all worked out, Dar Bako. :inlove:

why cant microsft be as much help as allyou guys and Ladys at At bc

I assume that was a rhetorical question, right? :thumbsup: If not, I can think of a number of reasons, the top one of which is that they don't make any $$$ from helping people use software on which MS has a virtual (no pun intended) monopoly.

As for the help you find here ... this is a fantastic forum. The amazing staff makes sure that questions aren't ignored, the non-staff experts are knowledgeable, and everyone's friendly. I've never seen a technically oriented forum that's so good to its members. The help I've received at BC has been invaluable, even though I've only been a member a little more than a month. So I try to give back when I know what I'm talking about. :flowers:

See you around the forums! :trumpet:

Edited by Dialer, 09 December 2007 - 09:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users