Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Monitor Cord Connector Types?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 clementinou

clementinou

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:49 AM

What are the different types of connectors that connect to computer monitors. I have purchased an extension to plug my monitor in further away, but it seems like the picture isn't as good. Are there different numbers of PINS? Is that the only distinction? How do I know what to look for if buying an extension off Amazon?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:27 AM

I assume you're referring to a 15-pin VGA connector?

The quality of an extension could affect the appearance of the image on the screen. VGA is a high frequency analog signal, a poor quality cable or a very long one could blur the image to some degree. Unfortunately it's hard to know what quality of cable you're buying.

A full specification extension cable should have at most one pin not present. Many have all fifteen. The VGA pinout can be seen here:

http://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA15_pinout.shtml

Pin 9 carries no signal, so can be absent on any VGA cable. If an extension cable has more pins not present, it could prevent the Plug&Play detection of the monitor specification, and cause Windows to revert to a generic monitor driver. If the image has changed greatly in resolution or colour depth, and the extension has less than 14 pins, that would be what to check for in the display properties.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:31 AM

Just an FYI - but I recently had a Dell at the shop that had a DVI like output - but it wasn't a DVI cable. Wasn't able to find out any info about it either (other than it was on an ATI video card).

The customer decided to upgrade his video card rather than going through the hassle with Dell to locate a cable.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:59 PM

Here's some diagrams showing the differences, between some of the monitor connections:
The Different DVI Connections

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

Like any other format, DVI digital and analog formats are non-interchangeable. This means that a DVI-D cable will not work on an analog system, nor a DVI-A on a digital system. To connect an analog source to a digital display, you'll need a VGA to DVI-D electronic convertor; to connect a digital output to an analog monitor, you'll need to use a DVI-D to VGA convertor.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:54 PM

It had 3 rows of pins all the way across (about 12 across as I recall) with no big flat connector like in the DVI-I.
The customer stated that this was the way that he'd purchased it from Dell.
It was a slimline case with a separate video card (although the onboard video worked as well).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Mirabella

Mirabella

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for the great responses.

I just discovered that my cable is an UXGA cable (description and link below).

I have used it with two different displays, with the same results--a display that tends to "squeeze" some letters. The display works perfectly with my regular VGA cord, but I need the extension and have this $50 cable.

Here is the description of the cable
Product Description
The Pro Series UXGA Monitor Cable with 3.5mm Audio is the ideal high performance solution for quickly connecting your PC to a video display system with speakers. Use this cable with projectors, flat-screen monitors, KVM switches with audio, speakers or a microphone. Designed to support resolutions up to 1600x1200, this cable can support distances up to 100 feet without conditioning the signal. Plus this cable is shielded to extend your video and audio signals without distortion or loss.This product includes an HD15 F/F Mini Gender Changer (#18962) for more audio and video applications.

This is the cable.
http://tinyurl.com/3ygexb

My Primary Display
Mitsubishi Projector HD1000U
http://www.projectorreviews.com/mitsubishi/hd1000u/
With Native Resolution: WXGA 1280x720

Again, I received the same results on my monitor. It shouldn't matter, but I am not using the Audio cable on the cord.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:47 AM

It sounds like the long cable is affecting the phase response of the signal. Analog is subject to this, and it can vary depending on the strength of the drive provided by your video card. Check if there is a manual phase adjustment offered in the setup menu of the projector. You may be able to compensate (at least to some degree) for the squashed section of the image.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:32 PM

Couple of nice links thanks to Rowal5555
http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/tech...l-DVI-types.jpg
http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/hdmi-cables.html
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:49 PM

I already posted one of them :thumbsup: :

Here's some diagrams showing the differences, between some of the monitor connections:
The Different DVI Connections

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Mirabella

Mirabella

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:14 PM

It sounds like the long cable is affecting the phase response of the signal. Analog is subject to this, and it can vary depending on the strength of the drive provided by your video card. Check if there is a manual phase adjustment offered in the setup menu of the projector. You may be able to compensate (at least to some degree) for the squashed section of the image.

OK, I will look into adjusting the phase. Hope that helps, but hope it doesn't shorten my projector bulb life! :thumbsup:

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,975 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:30 AM

hope it doesn't shorten my projector bulb life!

No, that wouldn't have any effect at all on the lamp life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users