Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Windows Dual Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Masty

Masty

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:39 AM

Ok. I am running on a Windows Vista Acer Aspire 5610. I only have 1 GB of RAM so Vista wasn't going too great with me so I decided to get Windows XP and dual boot my way to a better computing experience. After some trial and error, plus directions from http://www.pronetworks.org/forum/about88231.html, I finally got Windows XP installed. I went onto Windows XP and then my internet wasn't working, so I figured my WLAN inside my laptop doesn't have the drivers on this partition, plus I needed to get .net framework anyway so I got the framework first, and then preceded to restart my computer before attaining the drivers for the internet. When I tried to start up Windows XP again I got an error saying something similar to "\ntldr" then next line "status 0xc000000e". So I google to help fix my problem and try reinserting my boot cd and copy files ntldr to D: (The partition I have XP on) along with ntdetect.com with the lines of command in the recovery "copy D:\i386\NTDLR D:" and "copy D:\i386\NTDETECT.COM D:" I was going to try fixboot, but that was trying to create a boot sector in my C drive which contains Windows Vista and I didn't know how to tell it to create one in the D drive. I almost tried fixmbr, but that message it gave me kind of scared me and made it seems like it would mess with the whole computer. So now I am here at www.bleepingcomputer.com hoping I am in the right forum because I would really like to run Windows XP. Could someone please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:18 AM

In this sort of situation fixboot and fixmbr can cause you some severe difficulties - so shy away from them for now. Vista has replaced the Recovery Console with the Recovery Environment. Here's a link on how to use it to fix your issues: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Since XP is now on your system (and recognized by the Vista boot loader) I'd expect that it would be able to fix this issue.

But, on another note, I'd suggest that you check Device Manager the next time that you get into your Windows XP installation. You can do this by going to Start...Run...and typing in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Look for any red x's or yellow !'s - those will be those devices that are missing drivers (the article in your link didn't even mention that you may need to install the drivers).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Masty

Masty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:16 AM

Okay, first I went into Windows Recovery Environment and was confused that it would not let me pick a screenname for the Windows XP OS, but once in the command prompt I typed in "D:" and I hope that changed it. I typed bootrec.exe and followed the directions on the webpage I was given except replacing the C: with a D: whenever I saw it. I got to attrib bcd -s -h -r when I could seemingly do no more and when trying to repeat this process I had obviously lost my bcd. As I type this I am now booting from CD to get into the Windows XP installation and going to click repair to try and see if I can get into that Device Manager from there. Or am I supposed to completely reinstall Windows XP in order to get there? Edit: That was stupid of me to ask of course, the only way for me to get back to Windows Installation is to reinstall.

By the way: Thanks for replying.

Edited by Masty, 09 December 2007 - 11:21 AM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:40 AM

The fact that you do not have a bootable Windows Vista DVD with such systems, may also limit the ability to successfully create a dual boot with Windows XP.

well it looked like there were plenty of xp drivers from acer but telling which ones to use looked like a nightmare

the rest of the xp setup looked like an accident waiting to happen

that laptop should have run vista ok with a little tweaking and maybe another gig of ram, which is cheap
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Masty

Masty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:30 PM

Well, some programs didn't act like they wanted to run in Vista also.

So I have Windows XP installed and in Other Devices there are a couple of questioned exclamations. "Ethernet Controller" "PCI Device" "PCI FLASH Memory" "PCI FLASH Memory" "PCI FLASH Memory" "SM Bus Controller" "Video Controller" "Video Controller (VGA Compatibile)" I figure I can search the internet for these drivers except for the fact that I do not know what the exact name of these devices are called. I have not restarted the computer yet, and I have not reinstalled VistaBootPRO. Edit: I'm assuming one of these is my sound since that is not working in XP.

Edited by Masty, 09 December 2007 - 12:41 PM.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

I would have identifed the hardware from vista and downloaded and saved the drivers first

the acer site has the xp drivers
Chewy

#7 Masty

Masty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:09 PM

That's kind of interesting for me. Everytime I install a new driver it says found new hardware and it seems to have problem installing that hardware. I thought what I was getting was the information for that hardware. Also I hope I'm not getting too far from the point, will all these driverrs make the \ntldr error not appear?

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:13 PM

will all these driverrs make the \ntldr error not appear

no that's because you hosed your boot files when you installed xp
Chewy

#9 Masty

Masty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:18 PM

What do you mean I hosed my boot files? How do I fix this?

#10 Masty

Masty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:05 AM

When I reinstalled VistaBootPRO, that's when I can not get on XP again. Otherwise the computer would keep restarting automatically in XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users